Chapter 3

I wake up to the sound of crackling embers in the fireplace. I slowly start to get up when I realize that Peeta is on the floor beside the couch. When I start to stand up a pain sears through my head causing me to fall onto the couch.

"Owwwww" I say while rubbing my head.

I lay back down and cover up under the blanket and wait until Peeta wakes up. That's when I hear heavy breathing and he starts to mutter something. One thing that comes to mind. Nightmare. But this one seem to be even worse.

"Peeta" I whisper while slowly getting up trying. I try to ignore the pain in my head. He starts breathing even harder and sweat breaks out on every visible part on his body.

"Peeta" I say a little louder while brushing his ashy blonde hair out of his face. That's when he starts screaming. It sounds like hes getting tortured ..... Again. Sobs rack his body while screaming still continues.

"Peeta! Please! Wake up, Peeta! " I yell as I start to shake him. Flashback. That's what this torture is. He's having a flashback in his sleep. I look around trying to think of something that could help. I quickly run out the door still ingonoring the pain in my head. It hurts like hell but I still run. I shiver at the breeze that blows against my frail body.

I run up to Haymitch's house can even bothering to knock. I immediately start to gag because of the smell of vomit. I find Haymitch spread across the couch with an empty bottle in one hand and a knife in the other.

"Haymitch!" I yell. I try to shake him awake but it's no use. I find a empty pot on the counter. I tightly grip it as I turn on the faucet and it fills up making it heavier. I walk over to the couch. I throw the cold water on Haymitch making him stand up.

" Ahh" he yells waving his knife in the air.

"What are you doing?!?" He screams at me.

"Peeta, h- he is having a flashback" I say.

Haymitch takes his knife and bottle and sets it on the table beside him. And he runs out the door without saying a word. I run after Haymitch terrified of what I'm gonna see inside that house.

"Go back to my house, I don't want you to get hurt" Haymitch says. I can tell that he is sober.

"No, I can help. Please Haymitch, I don't want Peeta hurting himself" I say.

"Go back to my house Katniss, I will make sure he is safe. Enough has been said go back to my house!" He says raising his voice. I taken back at his words, I've never seen Haymitch so..... Caring. The normal Katniss would disobey his orders but Im not myself, so I obey Haymitch and go to his house.

It's been an hour, at least I think it's been an hour. I haven't heard anything from both of them. No screaming, yelling or talking. Nothing. I take the empty bottles that were laying on the floor and put them in the trash. I try to clean his house to the best of my ability but nothing can get rid of this stench. I start to fold the blanket that was laying on the couch but I hear the door open.

"Katniss" I hear a deep voice say. I walk towards the door when I see Haymitch there looking no different from when he left.

"Is-" I'm interrupted by Haymitch.

"He's okay.... But he doesn't want you near him , he doesn't want to hurt you." He says with a depressed look on his face.

"Where is he" I ask with tears threatening to spill over.

"That I don't know after we talked for a little bit, he walked off. I went to go look for him but I couldn't find him" he says. That's when tears spill over my eyes. He's probably miles and miles away from District Twelve now. And I'm being serious, when it comes to me, Peeta will do anything to try to keep me safe. But I don't want him to hurt himself.... Or worse.

I run out the door torwards the hob. I know one person who might know where he is . Sae.

" Sae!" I yell.

"Woah girl, are you okay?" She asks. She must have seen tears on my cheeks.

"Where's Peeta!?!?" I excitedly ask. Greasy Sae looks at me then looks down then back up at me. She knows. She knows exactly where he is.

" Sae..." I say.

" I have no idea" she says.

"I know you know, Where is he!" I yell startling her. She looks taken back at my tone.

"Sorry" I reply quietly.

" Katniss, I love you like a daughter, I would protect you with my life. I don't know all the details about what's happening, but I do know that you should let him be by himself for a while and sort things out. I promised him I wouldn't tell you. I'm sorry I would if I could but I think it would be better for the both of you. Don't worry I'll make sure he are safe, I'll feed him, and he'll have shelter. Okay?" She says in a calm tone. She's right. Every single thing she said was right. She knew I'd be worried about shelter considering how cold it is.

"Okay..." I say with a tear slipping out of my eye. With that, I leave the hob. I wrap my jacket around me as tears just spill out of my eyes. Everything was going good, until this morning. Knowing my luck, I'll probably loose Peeta too. Then I'll have no one. No one that I love.

I walk to my house and slam the door shut. I take off my jacket and lock myself in my closet and just sit there with sobs racking my body.

Okay, I felt really depressed writing this chapter because of me splitting up everlark. But I have a future plan and I'm sooooo exited. My mind thinks faster than my hands can write. I would like to give a special shoutout to themockingjaylives13 . ALL OF HER STORIES ARE SOOOOOO AMAZING! I would love to hear feedback. And I'm trying to stay active. Stay lovelie, my lovelies! -Sammi🤓🤓🤓🤓🤓