Never Again, a Jinx/Kid Flash tragedy

The sky was dark, illuminated by the twinkling stars and the glowing moon. The dark green, growing grass poked up from the sidewalk. The streets were quiet, not a car in sight. It was so silent that the footsteps skidding against the sidewalk made small, soft taps that echoed in the night.

A warm, unusual wind blew by, carrying fallen leaves with it. The footsteps seemed to stop, for their tapping echoes ceased.

Pink eyes looked around, skeptic. Sighing and shrugging, she walked on. Where she walked to, she had no clue. It was just the wind, she tried to convince her heart. Just the wind.

Lights flashed, and music now blared. She closed her eyes, the light blinding her. Her hands covered her ears, and she walked on with blind steps.

The sound of fading laughter entered her ears, and she removed her hands. She looked around, trying to find the unusual yet familiar sound. She wasn't hearing things, she was sure. She wasn't crazy, though some people would try to disagree with that.

She had to speak up. Say something. She hadn't meant for her voice to sound so alone and far away.

"Show yourself!" her voice trembled, yet no one came into her view.

She swallowed the lump in her throat, and yelled "I know you're there! Show yourself!"

Nothing but the same warm wind passed by.

She sighed. She wasn't crazy. She wasn't hearing things. She wasn't seeing things. There had to be something or someone there. She knew it. She felt it. She heard it.

She groaned, irritated. She slumped down, landing in the dirt covered ground. Tears rimmed the corner of her eyes, threatening to fall. She closed her eyes, and a tear slipped down her gray, pale cheek.

"I'm not crazy…" she whispered over her sobs.

"You're right." a familiar voice agreed, a smile in his voice. "You're not crazy."

She gasped, and looked up. He wasn't behind her anymore, though. She sighed. How had she not noticed his footsteps? Maybe she had been too absorbed in her own misery to have noticed.

A sad, small smile found its way onto her face. The name, "Kid Flash…" was blurted out of her lips in a whisper, a sad whisper. Her heart ached.

She blinked away the rest of the tears that had previously been crowding her vision. Where was she, she wondered, looking around. She frowned. Her pink eyes caught sight of tombstones. Somehow during her midnight stroll, her feet had brought her to this sad place. The grave. A sad, little community for the dead.

Her eyes then locked on the tombstone which was behind her. Her eyes widened, shocked. Tears once again threatened to fall, but she did not try to stop them. One by one, tears fell down her face. Her fingers trailed the engraved words on the rock, lightning shaped tombstone.

"Goodbye…" she whispered, her voice wavering.

It hurt to know that this goodbye meant forever. It ached her more when she no longer felt the wind. The winds had quieted down once and for all, no longer warming her. The laughter that once filled her soul with bliss was gone forever. The voice that had kept her together was gone, and was never coming back.