Chapter 13: It's not you, it's me.

Chapter 13 (KATIE POV):

"Hey James, you almost ready for dinner?!" I call out from the kitchen. I've been waiting for him for a half an hour already. James and I were going out to celebrate our 1 year anniversary.

I stand in the kitchen all ready to go. I'm wearing a black lace dress with a slip under it, bright red pumps, matching red lipstick, and a black and silver chain crossbody bag. James is taking forever to get ready though, we might lose our reservation. I curled my hair and hairsprayed it, so it would last all night.

"Yeah, hold on!" He calls back from the bedroom. I hear him mutter quietly, "So fucking impatient."

Ouch. James has been such a douche since I've been here. He's barely been affectionate or given me any attention so I suggested we go out to dinner.

"So, where did you make a reservation?" I ask.

James comes out of the bedroom hardly looking any different than he did before when he went to go change.

"Hey hun we need to talk.."

No. He can't seriously be doing this.

"Lately I feel like things haven't been the same between us. I don't know but I feel like we lost our spark. Last month I started seeing this girl Alexa. I really liked her but felt gulity about us being in a relationship while liking her so I stopped seeing her to see if we could make things work. Now that I've given us that time to make it work, I don't feel the same way anymore Katie. It's not you, it's me. I just hope we can still be friends."

Fuck. I try to hold back my tears to keep my dignity.

"Fuck you!" I scream. I slap his face as hard as I can and grab my bag to leave.

"Lucy we can talk about this-"

"No, fuck off you asshole!" I slam the door behind me and I can't keep back the tears.

When I get to the lobby I sit on a bench outside the building and continue to cry. I pull out my phone, *1 New Text Message from: James* "Friends? :)"

That asshole.

I text back, "Fuck off, or should I say Alexa." I start to cry and when I wipe the tears from underneath my eyes I see my eyeliner smudging and coming off. I priobably look like a monster.

The doorman from his building comes out and tells me, "Sorry miss, but you can't stay out here on this bench. It's building property." I get up and lean against the window of a store when it starts to pour. I get a piercing headache from all the crying and I just want to go to sleep.

I pull out my phone and text Joey knowing I wouldn't be able to keep myself together on a phone call. "Can you please come pick me up from James's?"

JOEY POV:

Katie's text says, "Can you please come pick me up from James's?"

Without questioning her I answer, "Of course. I'll be there in less than five."

When I pull up I see her outside the building. Her makeup is smudged and she pulled her curled hair back into a messy ponytail. She was wearing really nice clothes like she was about to go out and she's holding her suitcase.

She looks up after a minute to notice that I've just been sitting here watching her. She runs over to the car pulling her suitcase behind her, she puts it in the backseat, and hops into the passenger seat.

I give her a hug. She immediately squeezes back and we sit there for a minute.

I pull away, "What happened?"

"He... has to go on a work trip.. it's last minute. He forgot to tell me. It's fine though. Can I stay with you?" I can see the pain in her eyes. I know something's wrong, but I don't want to make her tell me. She'll tell me when she's ready.

"Of course." I half smile and drive away.

~~~

Thanks for reading! If you enjoyed please leave a like or a comment!

For new readers, I normally update on Friday's but I will do random updates like this, so follow or add to your library so you know when I do. :)