chapter eight

Shall I compare thee to a summer's day?Thou art more lovely and more temperate.Rough winds do shake the darling buds of May,And summer's lease hath all too short a date.Sometime too hot the eye of heaven shines,And often is his gold complexion dimmed;And every fair from fair sometime declines,By chance, or nature's changing course, untrimmed;But thy eternal summer shall not fade,Nor lose possession of that fair thou ow'st,Nor shall death brag thou wand'rest in his shade,When in eternal lines to Time thou grow'st. So long as men can breathe, or eyes can see, So long lives this, and this gives life to thee

—William Shakespeare 

chapter eight:

I pushed open the big metal doors to the hospital and ran to the front desk. "quickly, i need to get to room 37b to see patient Zaria brackenhouf." I was out of breath, wide eyed, and a little jittery, i'm not even sure she understood what i had just said. she pointed over to the elevator. I thanked her and ran over, it took me only a few strides because of how long my legs were. I jammed the button to go up and waited for a few seconds before it stopped and i got in. 

 an old lady with a little girls in her arms came in after me and smiled. i tried my best to smile back, but i was so out of breath it was hard. i got to the third floor and stopped, i had no idea where i was going. I checked the map on the wall and kept going, at least i was on the right floor. i took a couple of right turns before stopping at her door. I took a deep breath a walked in. 

a woman probably in her early forties stood up as i entered. she stared up at me before saying, "wow, hows the weather up there?"

yup, i got that a lot. 

she laughed at her own joke before extending her hand out towards me," excuse me, i am Becky brackenhouf, zarias mother."

i took her hand and shook it " it is very nice to meet you mrs.brackenhouf. i am tom Hiddleston I worked with her on the movie 25 yards to short, i played her alcoholic uncle."

"isn't that fantastic! were you two good friends then?"

"i would say yes"

"were you that guy that gave the police that statement?"

"one of them yes" i thought about Orlando, he should probably know about this. oh how selfish of me, why didn't i think about Orlando, he's the one who cared more about her than anyone. " will you excuse me for a second, i have to inform somebody else." i walked out of the room and typed in Orlando's phone number. there were a few rings before he picked up.

"tom, what are you doing, it's like twelve o clock at night? is everything okay?" 

" i am so sorry for waking you up, so sorry, but they found Zaria" there was silence on the other end. "Orlando?" 

"tom, where are you?"

i gave him directions and then went back into zarias room. i hadn't even noticed her body when i had first walked into the room. it was kind of depressing. she was so pale and thin. it looked as if she had been starved, she probably had been. i got a sick feeling in my stomach and turned away. i felt a hand on my shoulder and looked down to see Becky.

"you know, a couple of days after she had met you, she called me on the phone to tell me about you. she said, that you were the nicest most selfless man that she had ever met. she told me about how you held the door open for her the first time day and how much something that little had meant to her. she  told me about the time you smiled at her when she slipped and you caught her, she said that no one has ever been that kind to her, and when she was having a rough time, she said you were the one who listened and made her feel better, that even those small things you did for her, had meant so much to her."