Chapter 21

I woke the next morning to the phone ringing, it was singing 'Beautiful by Carly Rae Jepsen', I smiled lightly as I remembered Harry changing it the night before. Picking up the phone, my face scrunched up with surprise, the phone number was blocked.

Wearily, I picked up the phone "Hello?" the breathing on the other end was labored, "Ari?" I sucked in a breath, I knew that voice, like knew that voice. It was the voice that annoyed me when I was on the phone with my friends, the voice that asked me to play tea party, the voice that I had longed to hear for the week it'd been sense I heard it. 

Sami. 

"Oh My God, Samantha!" I cried, tears springing into my eyes. "I can't talk long, mommy is still really mad. She's been crying a lot though, I think this is about more than you, Ari" A strangled sob escaped my mouth, "I don't know, Sami, mommy won't talk to me. I miss you though" she let out a cry, "I miss you to, I called to say Happy Birthday Sissy" I sat up higher in bed, today was the 21st? I chuckled lightly, "I forgot" I confessed. 

Sami's laugh made me smile, it was a light sound that had always brought my spirits up. "Go figure you'd forget your 19th birthday" I opened my mouth to speak but I heard a shuffle of feet and wood. "Mom's coming, I've got to go, I love you Ari!" I started to reply but the last thing I heard was the click of a phone shutting off. 

The only person who would know it was my birthday was Lilah  and she was still asleep in the room next door. 

Knowing good and well she wouldn't hear me, I curled around my pillow and sobbed, I wanted my sister back, and if I was honest, I also wanted my mom back.

I was worried about my mom, even after what she did to me. She was my mom even if she hated me, but here I was crying my eyes out on my birthday, how cliched. 

*****

Once I finally pulled myself out of bed, I got dressed into a pair of jean shorts that had black lace brimming at the bottoms. I paired it with a pink tank top and some black Vans, I pulled my hair into a tight, high pony tail. 

I looked in the mirror, my eyes were red and puffy but the swelling wasn't as bad and my cheek bones seem high and angular, with my dark golden hair pulled up my features seem sharper. My eyes were a bright, sapphire blue. Pairing my eyes with the golden skin, blue eyes and dark gold hair I looked like the sand and the ocean. 

I didn't know why but I had a sneaking suspicion that Harry didn't even know about my birthday, today was a day Harry and I would be the same age. Just then my phone whistled fro the side of my bed, hurriedly brushing some powder make-up over my cheeks and under my eyes, I threw some blush on and put on my mascara before departing from the bathroom. 

I picked up my phone to see a text from Hazza, 'Good Morning, Love' I smiled lightly, there was only one reason to smile at the moment and that reason was Harry. 

'Do you want to hang out today or are you spending the day with Lilah?"  Good question, I thought to myself. Before I could reply my phone screen lit up with a picture of Harry and I, my lips press firmly against his cheek. He was smiling a broad smile with his dimples popping out, I remembered it from last night. 

Sliding the answer bar, I placed the sleek phone against my ear. "Good Morning babe!" he sang across the phone, I laughed "What's got you in such a chipper mood?" "I'm just happy to be talking to my girlfriend, isn't that enough?" My butterflies game back, even at the slight comment, "It's always enough" I whispered. 

"I'm coming over to get you, be ready!" he hung up before I could object, guess I was spending the day with Harry after all. Not that I was complaining. Not complaining at all. 

*****

25 minutes later I was strapped securely into Harry's black hummer, as he started the ignition, I took the opportunity to study him. 

He was dressed in a casual t-shirt and some old, worn blue jeans which hugged his mile-long legs in the most attractive way. I stared at his dark chocolate curls that flipped over his forehead, I could see happiness gleaming in his emerald green orbs. 

Glancing over at me, a smirk spread across his lips, he turned back toward the road before he spoke. "Enjoying the view?" my cheeks tinted pink on as I took a bold move in my answer, "It's a rather nice view" 

He smiled, but it wasn't one of his full, dimple showing, smiles. "What's wrong?" I questioned as a frown creased my cheeks. "I know you were crying" I let out a breath, "My sister called me this morning" he inhaled sharply, "Why?" I had no desire to tell him it was my birthday, I honestly had no desire to have him fawning over me. "She misses me" 

We just happened to be at a stop light and reaching over the center, he gripped my cheek and pulled me into a feather light kiss that was purely sweet and loving. "I'm always here for you, Ariella, know that" he whispered as he pulled away and started moving forward. 

"I do" I realized then that those words held a lot more meaning than I meant when I said them, those were the words that would be uttered at a wedding. The thought had me close to tears, and I reached over to him and wrapped my hand around his.