Chapter 7

They were in a dark corner of the dome. The enemy airship loomed around the side, looking for any sign of life. It hovered around the back of the building. The searchlight moved up and down, scanning the windows.

Inside of the dome was a large tree, and four narrow walkways that lead to it. Abraham looked down between the walkways, and saw it was a long drop down to the courthouse floor. The ground level was the standard courthouse layout, with aisles for witnesses, a judge's panel, and seats for the defendants. It was dressed in the usual Wonder City decor. However, instead of being covered in all red, the entire interior was crafted out of wood and what appeared to be white concrete. There were several levels in between the tree of justice and the courthouse floor, wrapped around the interior of the building, leaving most of the courthouse floor exposed beneath the dome.

It reminded Abraham of mall layouts where shops were stacked on top of each other for several stories, with a large gap in the middle of the walkways. In the middle of the room was a giant tree with the sign "tree of justice." Beneath the tree of justice, was a large chandelier that lighted most of the room.

In the left corner of the dome, there was a ladder that led down to a very large library. Abraham led the guard down it. Together, they set down inside of the library and hid from the airship. There was a window next to them. A bright light shined into the library through it, illuminating the book shelves. Abraham and the guard laid on the ground, covered by the shadows of the shelves. Abraham knew they were safe, but not for long.

The light lasted for a short eternity. Abraham's heart beat faster as the light came close to where they were hiding. It peered around bookshelves. Abraham looked over his shoulder and saw that his arm was almost in the light. A sudden flash of fear hit him but went away when he realized he was still safe.

He closed his eyes, worried that it would soon be over. He looked over to the guard, who was just as visibly shaky as Abraham was. He stared into his eyes and opened his mouth. No words came out, but there was a silent understanding between the two that if they both died there, they would have won because they died united. They died as friends. As a small community uniting together to stop a common evil. No other person in this world could ever say that.

Abraham knew there was no way out the fight alive. He began to accept it. Though he might never escape, he never gave in willingly. O'Neil may have temporarily wiped his memories, but he failed to destroy his personality.

"I've got to do it," Abraham said. His eyes, full of tears, refused to look away from his friend.

"You won't do it alone." The guard got on his feet and stood next to his ally. Together, the two walked into view of the window. They could see the airship in all it's glory. Abraham thought it was a fitting to die at the power of a machine he found fascinating. It was a soldier's death. A warrior's death. A hero's death.

The light found it's way into the window, blinding the two men. It paused. Abraham told himself that his enemies were enjoying the moment. They loved feeling the pride of war come over them. They would be adorned with medals, praise, and valor. He knew that to be untrue. These men weren't capable of feeling such emotions. They were lifeless peasants sent to do the will of their master. That, Abraham confessed in his mind, terrified him even more. What honor is there in dying to a machine?

Abraham's knees and elbows began to feel weak after a short lifetime of resistance. He was looking forward to eternal rest. He craved it.

There was a loud clicking sound, which Abraham assumed to be ammo being loaded into the portside guns. He waited patiently for death. Tears overwhelmed him. His nose felt full of saliva and pressure. He wanted to cry. He craved the emotion. Even though his life would be cut short, we wanted to feel the full effects of humanity crushing down on top of him. The good, bad, and horrific.

He had been so self consumed that he didn't pay attention to his surroundings. For just a moment, he thought about the world around him. He questioned the very nature of the city, and in doing that, fell out of his self imposed hypnosis. He saw the window in front of him vibrating rapidly. Much like the stair case at the corporate headquarters. It was the same type of abnormality. He felt the desire to reach out and touch it. To feel it.

As the first bullets were fired from the airship, Abraham made a final, decisive move. He placed his hand on the window. The vibrations shook his entire body. A blinding light far stronger than that of the airship's covered the room. Abraham closed his eyes to block it out. It was the last thing he could remember.