Chapter 21

He could see all of the walls of Wonder City clearer than ever before. A city of darkness shrouded in mystery can only be kept a secret by the walls. Never before had he thought much about them. The city was a petri dish, he thought. A plate of germs swimming in circles and multiplying into other versions of themselves.

But beyond the walls? Beyond the scope of the city? What lied there? It was the great unknown. Light casts out darkness, just as visions of the future casts out uncertainty. Yet in the darkness he had visions of what was in the great beyond. There were rolling hills and flowers of every kind. A bright morning sun peered over the edge of clouds and a breeze brushed past the blades of grass in the valleys. In the days of Earth they talked about heaven, a concept so far removed from the world Abraham knew that it was little more than folk lore told to appease the first generation of children.

Behind the walls was the purest representation of what heaven could be. As beautiful as the city was, there was a splendor that couldn't be explained. For everything, Abraham thought, there was a time and a place. Just as the city would one day pass away, a new world would come. He could see that world.

Inside of the city walls Abraham could see O'Neil. He was in front of a large monument in Downtown. A new structure built in the image of the angels. From it's hands came water that poured into a river below. That river traveled to the heart of Downtown and brought life to all who drank from it. It was puzzling to Abraham. How can a man so corrupt as O'Neil have a heart for those who have no hope? For the men created by O'Neil's code were desolate slaves, chained to duality of humanity that made them less than human. In them was nothing special. Nothing pure. They were born into damnation and told it was salvation. It was a ruse. A beautiful lie. Those were the men Abraham mourned for. For in them was no life. Only the cold hand of fate steering them towards an inevitable death.

What would become of them? Surely they were meant for destruction. And what of Abraham's children? Not the blood line that has yet to exist, but of the entire civilization he has given birth to? Much like him they were young, emotionally weak, and prone to the cruelty of the man who has lived for ages. It would be O'Neil who would cleanse the slate of the city with fire, purifying it into the single mass of uniformity that was before Abraham's existence. They were a beautiful people who lacked a leader. Though they had flaws, Abraham loved them. In the fledgling society were those full of greed, lust, and thirst for power. Yet there would always be those individuals. Men like Isaiah, who use corporations for themselves instead of society.