Chapter 11

It was eternally daytime in the city. Everywhere Abraham went, there was light coming from somewhere. Whether it was an area light in the floor or a street lamp on a city street, there was hardly any darkness. This made the transition from Downtown to Uptown that much more stark.

There was darkness everywhere he looked. With the exception of a few street lamps and glowing lights outside shop windows, there was little to light the way.

A cool breeze came from the west. Storm clouds appeared above the two men. There was no rain or lightning coming from them. They hovered around the central command tower as if they were guarding it from foreign invaders.

"It's not the code," Abraham said.

"Then what is it?"

Abraham looked up into the glass window that covered the entire top of the tower. There was a man, covered by shadows, staring down at them.

"It's uniquely human."

Abraham and Israel stood on top of the bridge overlooking the river.

Black clouds boiled and seethed above them.

Turbulent winds replaced the gentle breeze.

The river below evolved into rapid waves that crashed against the trees along the side. Abraham closed his eyes. He imagined a woman sitting along the bank, crying. She pleaded for help. He didn't know why, or who she was, but he felt remorse for her.

Slowly, he opened his eyes and saw her there. It was no dream. No figment of his imagination. She was as real as the wind whipping the side of his cheek.

Startled, Abraham grabbed Israel's shoulder and pointed towards her. "That woman... We have to save her..."

"How?"

Abraham looked quickly between her and Israel. She was staring at him. Abraham let go of Israel's shoulder and ran to her.

She reached out to him and shouted "No...it's too late! Too late!"

"No it's not!"

The wind picked up again. Abraham had trouble standing on his feet. The gusts pushed him over, sending his upper body toppling back. He regained his balance and pushed on towards her. "I can save you!"

She withdrew her hand and focused on the swimming. "There's no redemption for our people, Thomas."

Abraham, confused, looked up at the tower. A shadowy figure watched over them. He turned back to the woman. "No...I'm not Thomas..."

The wind pushed Abraham backwards. He braced himself, but it was too strong.

The woman was slipping. The wind pushed her close to the water. There she was on the ground, struggling to save herself from the cold, ravaging waves. "We have to believe that everything's for a purpose, Thomas."

Her hold on the ground gave way. The wind sucked her into the river. Abraham could still hear her voice. It lingered in the distance as the water carried her away.

"There's a time to live...and a time to die..." Her voice echoed through the empty air above the city, only pausing for a second as she chocked on water. "...a time to plant...and a time to uproot..."

Her voice went silent. She was gone. Returned to the depths of the city.

Abraham shivered as a wave of sorrow came over him. He searched in the darkness for her. "Come back... please... come back to me..."

The sound of Israel's voice came from behind, and startled him. He flinched, fearing at first that it was the man in the shadows. "What are you yapping about?"

Abraham, confused and emotionally exhausted, wondered that himself. "Can't say I know."

"Let's not worry about what's out of our control..."

Abraham looked up to the man in the tower. There was a feeling of understanding inside of him. He knew what he felt. For the first time, he could see who he was. "Right... We've got work to do."