Chapter 9

Abraham had never been this far before. Downtown Wonder City was as large of an enigma to him as his own identity. It was full of trees and grass. The foot traffic was heavy, and trains running through the middle of the roads created a wall of noise. The smell of cedar filled his nose, and the crunching sound of leaves beneath him brought memories of cool fall evenings. Part of him wanted to stay and enjoy the new sensations. He wished it would last forever.

"We should be able to walk right in, there should be little resistance." Israel said. "Indoor security never was very tight."

Abraham thought back to how easily he was able to get a hotel room. If it was that simple, he thought to himself, they should be able to travel around the city with ease. "Yeah, I noticed. Why is that?"

"We all have our routes. We do what we're told. We never disobey. It never once occurred to us that there was someone who wouldn't obey an order. Someone like you and I can't exist. That's what we all knew to be true."

Abraham smiled. It felt good to be different. "Sorry for the bad news."

The two men found themselves in front of a large spruce door. Behind it was a large lobby room. The walls were perfectly white, and it was warm inside. There was a fire place accompanied by a single chair and desk. To the right was a large sofa and the elevator.

"It shouldn't be this easy. It feels off," Israel said.

Abraham nodded gently, moving his head up and down.