29: VIDI

I removed my wayfarer as I face the people who just came in. It's them. The trio.

"It's nice to see you again, Steff–oh I mean, Maricar." I said and smiled at her. Sakto namang lumingon rin si Zachery sakanila. I expected her eyes to widen but she's awfully calm for someone who just got tricked. It made me wonder.

"I see that you're not that shocked, are you?" Tanong ko sakanya. Ngumisi naman siya saakin at natawa.

"May I properly introduce myself to you? I'm Maricar Luna." Aniya at lumapit saakin at inilahad ang kanyang palad. Tinignan ko muna ang kanyang kamay bago ako tumayo at makipagkamay. Ngumisi ako sakanya, ganoon rin ang ginawa niya.

"It's a pleasure meeting the King of Bluebird." Sambit ko naman. Natawa siyang muli at tinakpan pa ang kanyang bibig.

"The pleasure is mine, S.N."

Nagkatitigan pa kami ng ilang minuto at nauna niyang kalasin ang kanyang kamay sa pakikipagkamay saakin. 

"S.N. you say?" Rinig kong tanong ni Zachery kay Maricar. Tumango naman siya dito at nilingon pa ako.

"You didn't tell him you're SN?" Tila litong tanong saakin ni Maricar.

Ah, that. It completely slipped out of my mind. It wasn't that important, that's why.

"I forgot, thanks for telling him. I owe you one."

"This is your pilot speaking, we are about to take off, please have a seat and put your seat-belts on. Thank you very much." 

With that, all five of us took a seat with proper distance away from each other. Katabi ko si Zachery at katapat naman namin ang tatlo. Maricar really is calm and looked so unbothered that I am so damn itching to see her flip.

"You're very calm for someone who got played, aren't you?" Panimula ko. Tumaas naman ang kilay ni Maricar dahil doon.

"Played?" Tumango ako sakanya at tinapunan ng tingin ang dalawa niyang alagad. Na tulad ng kanyang ate, uhaw sa kapangyarihan.

"They pulled you here because of their hunger for power. I'm surprised that both of them are still alive. You see, Cindy, your Queen, is dead." Hatid ko ng balita sakanya. Hindi nakalagpas saakin ang marahan na pag-angat ng gilid ng kanyang labi.

"So the Queen is dead, hmm. Is that why you're planning to use my dear pawns? You're using them to replace the empty position, huh?" Napapalakpak naman ako sa sinabi niya at tumango-tango pa.

"You won't be the King just for nothing, I see. I thought you automatically earned it because you're the sister. But you're proving something. Great. This is great." I told her with a smug look on my face. Pumalakpak akong muli at tumawa pa dahil sa tuwa. I secretly observed her facial expression and I saw a glimpse of pain run through her eyes.

"You assume things easily, that's why you get hurt easily." Nagpangalumbaba ako at naaawang tumingin sakanya.

"Oh do I?" 

"Didn't you got hurt when Zachery chose me over you last time?" It was her turn to look at me with a worried look.

"Getting disappointed and getting hurt are two different things, sweetheart." Sagot ko sakanya.

"Anyway, shall I evaluate the two of you since you've done a job well done?" Tinignan ko ang dalawa na tahimik lamang sa magkabilang tabi ni Maricar.

"Dear, there's no need to feel bad. A pawn's main duty is to become someone higher." Payo ko sakanilang dalawa. Napatingin naman saakin si Jaqueline na nginitian ko.

"What will you do if the Queen you've made has turned against you?" Tanong ni Maricar saakin. Pinagkrus ko ang dalawa kong kamay at dumekwatro pa.

"They won't because I know their weakness. Since we are on that topic, Should I reveal some of the secrets these two have?" Walang sumagot pero nagpatuloy pa rin ako.

"One is paying for the sins she's done in the shadows," I said and looked at Jaqueline who had a wide eyed gaze at me. She must be very surprised that I know her secret. Or should I say, one of her secrets?

"...while one is stupid enough not to see the shadow of the person she's looking for a very long time." Then I looked at Audrey. Gulong gulo ang ekspresyon niya. Nanatili akong nakangisi sakanilang dalawa.

"One is an experienced assassin while one is full with rage in her heart because of that assassin who killed her family.  Who is more fit to become the Queen?" Nakita ko na tumingin si Jaqueline kay Audrey na nanatili pa rin na windang sa lahat ng aking sinasabi.

"Who do you think is cut to be the Queen, Maricar?"

"She must be at least almost on the same level as the late Cikara. Do you want to know how Cindy and I met?" Hindi ako sumagot. Dumekwatro siya at nagsimula nang magkwento.

"I met Cindy in an Arena, she was my opponent that time. We simply had a duel, she lost. She offered her service, she brought me to the School, then I met these two." She jerked her fingers towards the direction of the two.

"I told her about the Bluebird, and she confessed that she's a part of the Unwanted that my empire wanted to take down. As you already know, I am the King. I'm the person that Nicole Luna authorized with the planning and everything to take you down."

I was taking deep breathes as she tells us the story about her and Cindy. Even though Cikara is already dead, I wanted to take her out of her grave bring her back alive and kill her more painfully than I did before. Naramdaman ko ang paghagod ng kamay ni Zachery saaking likod. Napatingin ako sakanya. Naabutan ko siyang nakatingin saakin na may pag-aalala sa kanyang mukha ngunit ngumiti saakin nang lingunin ko siya.

"How did Cikara became the Queen?" Tanong ko sakanya.

"Simply because she has access over The Unwanted. You know in chess, The Queen has the most flexible moves. It fits her." Aniya at ngumisi.

With trembling hands, and shaking anger inside me I asked her the question that interests me the most.

"Why..." Bulong ko. Napapikit ako saglit at bumuntong hininga. I felt Zachery held my hand and squeezed it. It made me feel a little better. Nagmulat ako ng mata at matalim na tumingin kay Maricar.

"Why and how did you scouted my sister?" Tanong ko sakanya.

Ngumisi siya saakin at nagpangalumbaba pa. She got some strands of her hair and curled it as she acts as if she's thinking what to say.

"Won't you get hurt, dear?" Tanong niya saakin.

"That doesn't matter."

Tumango-tango naman siya at ngumiti. Tumayo siya at lumapit sa kinauupuan ko. Inayos niya ang ilang takas na buhok na mayroon ako at tumingin saaking mga mata.

"Because she's willing to do anything for love." She said and giggled.

Anything for love?

Casl is willing to betray me for love's sake. I laughed with that thought. People really are strange.

"Why are you so calm, and is willing to tell me everything?" Tanong ko muli kay Maricar nang mabalik ko ang sarili sa reyalidad.

Maricar stretched and even yawned. She looked at me with a bored look on her face.

"All this talking made me lose my energy, can I atleast deserve a cup of coffee?"

The tables have turned. I thought I can go through her head but it looked like I was the one who got played today.

I'll make her flip out of anger one of these days, I fucking swear.