Chapter 7: Detention

Vanessa and I have already spoken about her stooding me up at the mall. She explained that she forgot about our prior meeting and is planning to make up for it. But she somehow gotten much busier these days.

I've been catching rides to school with Jake and Serena for the passed weeks. I must say that there aren't any quiet car rides with the two.

I am waiting for Serena by her locker as she finish her conversation with one of her Film Club co-officer. My attention was suddenly caught when a commotion started as two guys started fighting. As the good person I was, I couldn't help but want to settle things out. I came in between the two guys trying to punch each other.

"Stop!" I pushed them off each other.

Serena somehow had manage to follow me. "What are you doing Skye?" Serena said in wide eyes as I try to stop the guys from charging at each other again. "Get over here!"

"I. Need. Them. To. STOP!" I said pushing the two guys away from one another that was clearly not working. A loud whistle was heard and Principal Jackman appeared from the crowd. The two boys fighting finally stopped as the presence of the Principal came to view.

"What is going on here?" Principal Jackman shouted. Everyone stayed silent like they've all gone mute.

"Sir I-" I was about to explain what happened but he cut me off.

"Ms. Morgan? Getting into fights? This isn't you!" Principal Jackman shaking his head from disappointment. "Detention for the 3 of you!" He pointed to the two guys and me. My eyes widen from what he announced.

"But Sir-" I was about to complain but he held his hand up for me to stop.

"All 3 of you." Principal Jackman repeats with such emphasis and turn to scan the circled crowd. "The rest you." Pointing to the other students. "Go back to class!" He shouted then the students automatically dispersed from the scene. Principal Jackman spare me a one last disappointed look before leaving.

"Shit! Skye." Serena tugging my arms. "What were you thinking? Gosh, you should replace your name with stupid. It fits you well."

"I got detention." I mumble in disbelief.

"Clearly." She nodded.

"It's my first ever." I face palm myself. "I should've just minded my own business. Now, I have a detention record."

"It's not that bad." She patted my shoulder trying to console me.

"Detention?" I look at her worried.

"Being stupid. Yeah, of course detention." She rolls her eyes at me. "You're just going to sit there for 45 minutes and do nothing." She informs.

"Seems like you know the drill." I raise a brow at her.

"Seems like it." She winks with a mocking smile.

***

"Oh my God! You got detention?" Vanessa came up to me during break time.

"Yes." I nodded embarassed and worried at the same time. "Landed in a pile of mess." I said thinking about detention.

"It's bad for college, you might not get into NYU or Princeton." She comments while looking at her nails.

"You think so." I began to silently panic in my thoughts. Maybe Serena was right, I should change up my name to stupid because of my stupid decisions in life.

"Yeah." She smirks like she thinks it was amusing. I was about to say something when another presence stands next to Vanessa. Her composure quickly shifts.  "Everything will be okay. Just stay positive." Vanessa giving me a friendly tap on the shoulder.