Mine 12

Copyright © 2010 Alexandra-Patricia Pusca 

§§§ 12 §§§

Nicholas got in front of the club in less than five minutes which was a record even for him. That’s when his eyes landed on the figure of a small fragile looking girl, standing in the parking lot with her arms wrapped around her body, in order to preserve the warmth. The first thought which occurred to him was that she was too good for this damn world in which she was forced to exist. If only she knew…

“I’m definitely going to kill Jeremy!” Nic muttered, making a mental note.

Tanya smiled relieved as soon as she saw the sparkling red car of her brother. All she wanted to do was to get as far as possible from that place. She didn’t felt safe there, at least, not anymore.

Nicholas stopped the car in front of her, coming quickly by her side, looking slightly worried, but at the same time relieved to see her too.   

“How do you feel, baby girl?” he asked while enveloping her in his long strong arms. “I’m here” he tried to soothe her as soon as she trembled involuntary in his cool embrace.

“I know… you are always there when I need you” she mumbled sadly. He didn’t know how to answer to her words, so he just kept her closer to his body, deeply inhaling her intoxicating scent which held so much power over him.  

“You’re freezing. Let’s go home… I guess I can kill Jeremy tomorrow” he whispered jokingly, trying to make her smile, which she did, leaning toward him and kissing his cheek.

“Ok” she replied grinning, even though Nic saw behind her façade. He could tell that there was still a hint of fear inside her eyes, moving shadows, which she tried to conceal the best she could.

Tanya jumped inside his car, putting her seat belt on and Nicholas hurried to leave, getting inside the car as well without being aware of the eyes which followed them through the darkness of the night.

The next two days of the weekend Tanya decided to stay inside the safety of her house. Anne called her several times to invite her to join her to a shopping trip through the malls of the city, which Tanya declined politely.

She was not in the mood to listen to Anne’s rambling about Jeremy. It was selfish of her, but she felt that she needed some time alone to think.

The violent dreams she had didn’t help her either, as she woke up sweating like crazy and struggling to breathe. She couldn’t forget the black eyes which seemed to torment her even in her unconsciousness, inducing fear and excitement through her veins.

Sunday morning, Tanya finally decided to get out of her room knowing that her reactions were exaggerated. Nic was worried and she didn’t have the right to do something like that to him. After all, he was the only one who ever helped her, listening to her problems since she was just a child. She was aware that she could count on him and that was exactly what she intended to do.

So she walked in the kitchen, knowing that her brother was already there probably preparing her meal. While descending the stairs she heard Nic’s voice. He was on the phone, probably talking with Jeremy.

“How the hell could you let her alone in the middle of the night? I trusted you to protect her. Not to stay in your fucking car while Ty was alone and most of all unprotected. What if something wrong happened?” he yelled without being aware that she listened to his conversation.

“You don’t have anything to explain Jeremy. I’m never going to let her come somewhere with you two” Nic promised, obviously still furious because of the entire incident.

“You have nothing to talk about with her, so leave her alone. What the fuck did you two do? She cried and she called me to pick her up…”  

“Don’t tell me that you did nothing wrong because she’s not eating and she doesn’t want to come out of her room. She won’t even talk to me, Jeremy…”

“What? What the hell are you talking about?” he asked outraged.

“Fine, you can come at five o’clock and it better be good, otherwise I’m throwing you out of my house” he menaced right before hanging up the phone.

“Nicky, what happened? Why were you yelling like that?” Tanya asked confused, taking her brother by surprise. He was pretty shaken by the things which Jeremy implied during their talk on the phone that he didn’t notice her coming inside the kitchen. It was careless of him and he hoped that she didn’t heard too much of their discussion.

“I was just giving Jeremy a piece of my mind” he replied nonchalantly, trying to hide the anxiousness which he felt because of his friend’s words.

‘I have to tell you something very important. It’s about Ty and… someone else…’ were Jeremy’s exact words.

The single mention of Jeremy’s name brought back memories of the dark haired guy in Tanya’s mind.

“He didn’t do anything wrong. It’s not his fault that I am upset. I don’t even know why I feel like this. I’m depressed and I don’t even know why, so you don’t have to make such a big deal of it, Nicholas” she screamed impulsively before running back inside her room, leaving a stunned guy behind her.