chapter 2

• Dedicated to Shrutee Dwa

CHAPTER 2

 I changed into a simple pair of shorts and tees and I started packing up my things. After some hours I finished my packing and went downstairs with my suitcase. Dad and mom were also packing their bags. I really didn’t want them to leave. Looking at their sad faces it made me wanna cry but I couldn’t bcoz I had to stay strong.

“Good morning momma and dada.” I said with a smile. “Good morning honey,” they said. “So when are you leaving for California?” I asked. “We are leaving at 5 pm after dropping you at your friend’s house.” mom replied. “Okkie dokkie moms.” I said. Grabbing my bag and a toast I said, “Bye mom dad I’m leaving for school”. “Bye honey”, they replied.

I drove my car to the parking lot. I went to my locker and took out my math book. Then I saw Brianna, Bethany, Emily and Daniel coming towards me, laughing and shouting.

“Hey guys.” I said. “Hey Becca!!” everyone shouted. “Does anybody have extra room in their house? My parents are moving to California for some months so I need a room to stay for 3 months. I also needed a part time job.” I said. “Sorry Becca, you know I have a joint family so no empty room in my house. Sorry Bec.” Beth told. “My sister and her husband are moving into my house for a year. They will stay in the guest room. So no room is left vacant. Sorry Bec I really wanted to help you.” Brianna said with a sad face. “Bec you know that there’s no empty room in my house. I’m so sorry Becca.” Emily told. “It’s okay guys. I’ll find a place to stay.” I said with a smile. Then Dan suddenly “If you don’t mind Rebecca you can stay at my house. There are lots of empty rooms and I was also searching for a maid to clean the house, so you can do it. I’ll pay you good salary,” he said. “Ummmm….okay Daniel, thanks for the help. I’ll promise I’ll be a good maid.” I laughed. I looked at Dan and gave him a big smile. Dan did the same.

“I smell something fishy.” Emily teased. “Don’t start again Em.” I glared at her.

Then we went to our class. Whole day I was thinking about my parents. I was so worried about them. Soon school was over and my favorite detention started. During detention I was just thinking about my parents. I felt like crying.

“Hey Becca you look worried.” Daniel asked. “I’m just worried about my parents. They are having a tough financial problem and I really want to help them but I can’t find a way to do so. Also they are moving to California. I have never stayed  so far from my parents for so long.” I said. “It will be fine Becca. The best way you can help them is to bid them farewell with a smile on your face so that they won’t worry about you all the time. Anyway I’ll take good care of you since you are so special to me. So, stop worrying!” Daniel said.

Suddenly my heart felt so heavy. I hugged Daniel tightly and started crying. After sometime I stopped crying. Daniel drove me to home. Mom and dad had already taken out all the suitcases from the house. They were waiting for me. Daniel and I got out of the car and went towards my parents.

“Mom this is Daniel. I’ll be staying with him and I’ll also work as a maid in his house.” I told looking at my mom. “Okay honey but you never told me that you had a boyfriend. Don’t do anything kinky with your boyfriend while we are away, okay honey?” she said putting her right hand on my cheek. “Stop your imagination mom. He’s just my friend. He lives alone in his house so he needed a maid to clean the house and I needed a room to stay. That’s all.” I said. “Fine the,.” she said.

Then I kept my suitcases in Daniel’s car. I hugged my mom and dad. I was trying my best not to cry but watching my parent’s sad face I was unable to stop myself from crying. A tear rolled down my cheek and suddenly Daniel signaled me “No tears!” And I cleared my tears.

“Bye mom n dad. I’ll be leaving. Take good care of yourself. Call me when you reach there.” I said. “Okay honey. Bye and remember, we love you” they said.

I hugged my mom and dad, got on the car with Daniel and drove to his home. His house was near to the forest. It was pretty cold in that place.

His house was big and elegant. The house was built in European style. There were many big paintings hung on the wall. There was a big chandelier at the top. Daniel showed me my room. It was big. There was a big bed in the middle, a small table and a sofa in the corner and a huge attach bathroom. A big wardrobe was there too. What amazed me the most was there was a big balcony in my room. From there we could see such a panoramic view. I absolutely loved my room.

“This room is so pretty Daniel. Thanks a lot for your help!!” I said. “My pleasure, Becca.” Daniel said with a smile. “If you need anything just call me. My room is just next door.”, He said. “Okay”, I said.

Then suddenly I remembered about my parents. It had only been about thirty minutes since they had left and I was already missing them. Tears started falling off my eyes. And suddenly, Daniel came and hugged me tightly. I started sobbing in his shoulders. I felt so relieved when he told me my parents were going to be fine. I was so happy that Daniel was there for me. I had a shoulder to cry my heart out and I did just that.

I felt so tired after crying for a long time. The whole time Daniel was there, telling me that it would be okay soon. My head started hurting. I felt so weak. Daniel carried me in bridal style and put me on the bed. Soon I was asleep. I dreamt about my parents returning from California. I was so happy in my dream.