*11*

"Thanks for, um... the little party yesterday," I appreciated my brother when he picked me up from school the next day. We were almost home and had been driving
in silence before I decided to speak up.

"I'm just glad to hear you speak," he joked. I rolled my eyes with a smile as my hand flew to my throat and caressed it.

"I know I have the voice of an angel." I laughed. "But, no. seriously, I never got to say thanks."

"You should thank Jace. He told me he'd promised you a party. Did he really?"

I nodded. "Sort of. It was his way of circumventing a particular situation."

"What situation?"

"Shane dumping me, basically. But that was the night before I..." I let my voice trail off but he knew what I meant. "Hey, you never told me why you think I'm deathly afraid of going places."

"Being in a car," he corrected. "And I'll talk to you about that as soon as we get home."

"Alright. How's Kalani?"

"She's coming over today. So is Asher."

I smiled before I could stop it. "Oh, really?"

"Yes, really. All three of us are going somewhere, by the way, which might be a problem."

My eyebrows knitted together as Justin pulled up in our driveway slowly. "How's that a problem?" I asked.

"Because Mom's still at work and you'll be home by yourself."

"Justin, I'm seventeen and perfectly capable of staying home alone." I exited his car and shut the door, watching as he did the same.

"I understand that, but -"

"But I have panic attacks and being left alone could be dangerous," I concluded as we walked into the house.

Justin ran his fingers through his short hair. "I remember when you used to cooperate. You were like... five and way too adorable."

I glared at him before he laughed.
"They should be here any minute." Justin looked down at his watch.

"You know, I could just ask Shane to come keep me company."

My brother glanced back up at me. "I'm sorry, I think I just heard you say you could ask Shane to keep you company."

"Yes, Justin, you thought correctly." I dropped my book bag and headed towards the kitchen.

"I mean, it's on you, but...personally, that would be awkward. Like... very awkward."

"Well, he and I could watch a couple movies or... I could cook for him. He does like my food."

Justin slid onto a stool in front of the kitchen bar table. "You poor soul." He grabbed a green apple from the fruit basket and bit into it.

I sighed in defeat. "Is it wrong that I..."

"Yes," he answered without wasting a second.

"I don't know what to do, Justin. How do I even cope?" I knew it wasn't a good idea asking him. It wasn't as if he'd been in my shoes before. "First of all, I don't even
know if I'm gay or bi or whatever. I'm just not even gonna label myself until I'm like... 25 and well aware of who I am in terms of my sexuality. Second of all, how come I can't seem to find someone who actually loves me? And even if I do, are they gonna dump me for the
next chick or guy, or will they get into a car accident and pass away?"

Justin's face clouded with sympathy. "Nolan, please. I know you've had a rough time these past few years, but you're seventeen. You have years and years to find love, alright?"