*32*

Nolan*

Well, this was it. My 18th birthday.

I woke up to Mom serving me breakfast in bed, with happy tears in her eyes, and her telling me how much I've grown up. After school, Justin and Kalani arrived to take me to go get my
pictures taken to add to the ones on the wall. Kalani decided to stay with Mom because she of her growing belly. Even pregnant, she was gorgeous. She was giving birth to McKenzie Reeds, a girl.

After the pictures, we went back home to celebrate a little bit and just hang out. I was happy, but I hadn't said a word to Asher all the day. He hadn't even texted me.

Soon, Shane came to pick me up and drive all the way to Jace's house in Louisburg as planned. In the backseat were Tyler and Darren. I knew I'd told Ash there'd be a party, but I was sort of lying. It was more of a little get-together.

"There's my big brother!" Jace exclaimed to me once I entered the house, throwing his arms around me. "Happy birthday! I'm sorry, but if I were you, I'd be at a club right now."

The others came inside, but the oddest thing was, Jace didn't even regard Shane. Knowing the two love birds, they'd forget all about me and go make out somewhere. I didn't say
anything, but I knew something was up.

"Have you had cake yet?" Jace asked, looking worried.

"I had some cupcakes."

"Good, because I couldn't buy you a cake. But, I have a gift for you!"

"We'll just make ourselves at home then," Darren said, sitting down with his arm around Ty's waist.

"Yeah, sure. Turn the TV on please!" Jace called out as he ran upstairs.

"I'll be right back," I informed, going up the stairs to talk to Jace. "Jace, wait up." I slipped into his room and shut the door, watching as he dropped onto his bed with a hopeless
expression on his face. He looked like he was on the verge of breaking down, so I just decided to be there for him before asking questions.

I put an arm around him and he laid his head on my shoulder.

"Something's up, I noticed," I stated.

"I didn't wanna be this sad on your birthday."

"Are you kidding me? You've watched Inside Out. Did you learn nothing?"

He chuckled. "What? Sadness is as important as joy?"

"Well, it is."

"What about depression?" he asked.

"What do you mean?"

Jace straightened up and sighed dejectedly. "I don't know what to do. I keep having doubts, Nolan, and it's scaring me."

"Doubts?"

"About Shane," he clarified. "You know how affectionate we usually are, right?"

"Trust me, I know."

"Yeah, well, anytime he tries to like hold my waist or kiss me or something, I don't..." he sucked in a breath, suppressing his tears. "I don't feel any spark, Nolan. I don't, and it's
killing me. It's killing us."

"Why do you think this is happening?"

"I don't know."

It made me sad seeing him so hopeless. "I remember last year, Shane told me you guys had a little argument. Have you been having those a lot lately?"

Jace sniffed. "Not even. We haven't talked to each other for a little while."

"How long is a little while?"