The Promise

I ended up coming back everyday during my shift. It made me feel more ecstatic and more important. It felt like I was walking faster everyday just so I would have more time to tell jokes.

"Then I said, 'wow, sounds humerus.'" I started to laugh at my own joke.

I realized I was the only one laughing. She wasn't laughing at my jokes as much as she was yesterday. I put my head up to the door to listen for signs. I gave up after five seconds.

"What's up?" I said a little concerned. I heard her sigh, "If a human ever comes through this door, could you please, please promise me something?"

I was a little hesitant at her words. I didn't even know her name and she wanted me to promise her something. And I don't like making promises.

"Watch over them and protect them, will you not?" I hesitate for awhile and then sigh.

"Sure, I promise."

It's hard to say no to someone who really likes bad jokes.

I don't know how, but I had a feeling she was smiling.

"Thank you."

I was wondering if it would ever be possible to meet this woman in person instead of behind a locked door. I mean, I've already made a promise to her.

"No problem."

We sit in silence for awhile, I almost thought she left. Finally, I hear a knock on the door.

"Who's there?"

"To,"

"To who?"

"No, to whom!" She started to laugh at her own joke. I'll admit, she got me. I gave her a chuckle and we continued our normal routine.

She really made me happy, happier than normal. Don't get me wrong, I have an average life that I wouldn't trade for anything.

There was just something about her that I really liked.