8. I Dare You

Draco unrolled the parchment, and smoothed it out on his desk. The candles that lit the room burned silently as they flickered with a slight breeze.

“The Potion Master knows what to do,

They know how to use me correctly.

Although I look similar to all the ones around me,

I don’t sting, I only collect what you need.

The Potions Master can’t come find me.

If they are lucky, two younger ones will find me in my dwelling,

And face the dangers during the fading light of day, amongst the trees.

If I am not prepared properly,

The result may be disastrous.”

Everyone in the now silent room looked around at each other. No one really understood what the riddle on the parchment meant.

Draco glanced towards you, “I’m sure you’ll be able to figure this out, Alice. After all, you figured out the riddle for that Gold Rush Tournament in our sixth year.

The students that had joined yourself and Draco in the Potion Masters office all stared at you for a moment. None of them had deemed your to be the riddle type.

“Well…” you paused for a moment, trying to ignore the stares from everyone else in the room, “let’s start with the obvious then… Shall we?” with a short flick of your wand, the riddle had copied itself out onto another piece of parchment. You drew your own quill, and circled certain phrases. “It’s obvious that this is a task for the Potion Master. In other words for you, Draco.” you gazed at the white blonde man for a moment, before going to quickly re-read the riddle once more. “You’ll need two students for the task, to fetch whatever the ingredient that your missing, seeing as you can’t go get it yourself…. But the problem is, it’s going to be at dusk, I think, and we don’t know what we’re looking for….”

“I don’t understand the ‘If they are lucky.’ part, Professor…” the Seventh year girl, Sari Kansaki, stated. She was never one for riddles or defensive and offensive spells, much more a potions wiz.

“Yes… We will have to work on this. We don’t know the date for the next task yet, but I think it’s safe to assume it won’t be for a little bit…. Or at least, not until after Christmas.” you said, your brows furrowed slightly as you continued to stare down at the riddle.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The school was relatively empty, most students had gone home for Christmas Break, leaving the cold corridors silent.

You were sitting in your office, grading the papers students had turned in before leaving on vacation, when a knock sounded on the old oak door.

“Come in.” you called, not looking up from the papers in front of you.

Shadow stirred beside you slightly, recognizing the persons scent before they crept through the small crack in the creaking doorway.

“I’ve figured it out.” Draco’s voice was a whisper, as he crept towards your desk as quietly as possible. He shot a look over his shoulder, and pulled out his wand. Instantly the door closed, and a Muffliato charm was cast over it so no unwanted persons could hear what he had discovered.

Your eyes drifted from the paragraph that you had just finished reading, and towards the pale, yet excited face that was mere inches away from your own. “I’m assuming you’re talking about the riddle?” you asked, leaning back in your chair.