XXXIV

Domitius

I ordered lots of flowers for the funeral.

The coffin was grand: white with mint green outlines, how I knew she would love it, even if it was such a morbid thing. It was, in no means, a private funeral, her mother insisted the whole small town come, and come they had. Hanna and her mom also came, I didn't know the importance of the girl, but from the smell of her grief and tears I guessed they had been close. I knew she despised her mother, but I know any parent, deserving or no, should be at their child's funeral.

Hanna had flew down to come to the funeral, and she was a weeping mess. They were alike, in many ways, same creamy tan skin, same long legs, but Katrina had many more perfect imperfections. Her nose was straight, with a beautiful crook, her face was unscathed, her blue eyes more pronounced, her blonde hair longer, wavier, and darker.

A picture of her sat at the front of the room, it must have been taken when she was fifteen. It was a school picture, her hair was in a messy bun, she wore a tank top that showed off her summer tan, and the camera's tilt made her face look lopsided. I smiled when I saw it, could imagine her complaining about all the imperfections.
I wasn't at the funeral, not yet anyway. I was to make my entrance before they buried her. I wanted to talk.

Her mother was in tears, Hanna sobbed and moaned against her own mother.

Vampires couldn't cry, and for that I was thankful, otherwise I would be a sobbing mess with them. It had been three days since her death, since the police found her in the rubble of the airplane and pronounced dead. The girl that was kidnapped from a little town in Missouri to be found in a cow pasture in Europe.

How things could twist.

Katrina's mother approached her coffin and took the microphone.

"I would like to say that I love her. I still do." She took in a deep breath, blew her nose, and wiped her eyes, "and that I feel sorry we never got along."

She passed the microphone to Hanna.

It went on, same things said, same sobs.

I ran a hand through my hair, smoothed my black, button down shirt and looked over my casual black jeans and boots. I pushed open the church doors, dipped my hand in the holy water, and crossed my chest. All eyes flew back to me; the late person who showed disrespect by walking in in the middle of the memorial.

I took slow, steady steps down the aisle, to a terrified looking girl, probably someone that went to Katrina's school. I smoothly pulled the microphone from her hands and watched when she scampered back to her seat. Someone whistled from the croud, and I laughed inwardly.

I addressed the crowd, my fingers splayed over the Mic.

"Hello." I said, looking at the crowd, feeling their heavy gaze. "My name is Domitius. I was a friend of Katrina's, well, maybe more than a friend." I smiled, remembering her smile, "I wanted to pay my respects, to show how I cared. Katrina and I only met a week and a half ago, rather a short time." I paused, the questioning look her mother sent me was enough to make me cringe. "She was in trouble, needed help, just jolly I was there, right? I saved her, but I guess in the end I killer her too, though." I swallowed, my tongue felt fat, guilt crept up my spine, "She was a charmer, a looker too at that, she knew jokes, she had a very nice dog too. We went on some adventures together, and I must say she is a very sarcastic, and I quote, nard." Hanna's mouth opened, surprised, "She was a good kisser, nice lips and all. She yelled at me sometimes, but hey, does any girlfriend not?" I was surprised I called her my girlfriend, but wasn't she?

I handed the Mic back to the priest, and started to walk back out of the church, past her angry, confused, mother, when a noise stopped me.

It came from the coffin.

I turned around, back facing the front, and listened. Everybody's eyes were glued onto my, wondering what I was doing.

A tiny, barely audible scratch came from inside the coffin.

I walked back up between the rows of seat, to the front where her coffin lay. I opened the kid, the one over her face, and was slightly surprised to see two blue eyes that met mine. A little mouse crawled out of her joined hands, the beady eyes looking at me. I raised it from her cold hands, and into my own. My fingers brushed the soft satin fabric of her gown. It was white and simple, all the generosity of her curves pulled at the dress.

I took a moment to get one last look, take in her long lashes, her hair, her smell. But she was gone.

I lain Gravel gently onto the ground at my feet, and watched as her grew into a little boy. Gasps, some screams, and confusion burst through the church. I ruffled his hair, took one last look at my dove, and nearly jumped out of my skin.

Two blue eyes, none of which belonged to Gravel, looked at my from inside the coffin.

_____________________________

Sorry for a short chapter, but I'll update in an hour or so cause I'm excited! This is gonna be one of the last chapters.

Do you like the sound of book 2?

Should I have another book?

Thanks!

Vote and reply to me please!

(Did you cry? I know I did)