Chapter 13

Connie continued to bury her head in Jacobs' chest. She never, ever wanted to let him go. She felt so safe in his arms. She was on the absolute top of the world now.

"I'll leave you two to it, you'll have a lot to talk about"

"Oh Charlie thanks for everything!" Connie gave Charlie a huge hug and planted a kiss on his cheek "I wouldn't have gotten through today without you"

Charlie left the room and headed home for some sleep. Connie and Jacob sat in her hospital bed, she was resting her head on his chest, and he stroked her face gently.

"I thought I'd lost you - forever!"

"How do you think I felt when I saw on the news there'd been an explosion here and you weren't answering your phone?"

"I was kind of busy, please forgive me?"

"I do, how's our mini me?"

"He's fine, thankfully, I don't think I could have coped if I lost him too"

"Him? What happened to keeping it a surprise?"

"Oh my god. No one's told you have they?"

"Told me what?!"

"Jacob, I gave birth today, in a burning hospital! I thought one of them would have told you when you turned up at work!"

"No, no one mentioned that important fact"

"I'm so sorry - I just assume...my head it a bit up my arse, forgive me? Do you want to see him?"

"Of course I forgive you baby girl, where is he?"

"Upstairs in NICU, they wanted to keep him there for observation as he's premature and was in a burning building for an hour.. He is fine. Do you want to go up and see him now, I'm not taking him out his incubator though, it's 4am. You can hold him tomorrow"

"What are we waiting for?" Jacob jumped off the bed and gestured for her to take his hand, which she did.

The route to the neonatal unit was a twisting maze of corridors, Connie held on to Jacobs hand tight, as she led him along, reminding him to be quiet, as the majority of patients would be asleep. When they arrived, she showed him to his little incubator.

"He's your double" she told him.

"Oh my goodness, I am in love" Connie opened one of the little doors on the side and took Jacobs hand

"He's awake, let him squeeze your finger, Daddy" Jacob put his finger in his sons hand, who squeezed his finger extremely tightly.

"He's got a good grip, and some strength!" Jacob laughed.

"Yeah maybe he'll be able to beat his father at arm wrestling, like his mother"

"You cheated!" Jacob exclaimed. Standing beside him, Connie out her arms around Jacob, and rested her head on his chest.

"The only thing that's missing right now is my Gracie" Connie said, absolutely in love with her new family.

"So, what we calling him then?" Jacob asked.

"Well, I was going to call him Jacob, but that was only in memory of you, so I'm open to ideas, his middle names going to be Charlie though, he wouldn't be here without Charlie!"

"What about Ben?"

"Ben Charlie Masters" Connie said. "I like that, I really like that"

"Hello Ben" Jacob cooed to his newborn baby son. The baby let out a small whimper.

"I think he likes it too" Connie said, turning to Jacob and embracing him in a passionate kiss.