Chapter 14

Connie awoke in her room, alone. She glanced at her watch, 0815.

"Jacob?" she asked, still half asleep. Just then, he entered the room with two coffees,

"A coffee for my lady"

"JUST what I needed, thank you!" Jacob put his arm round her, and whispered "Love you" in her ear.

"Do you want to go up and see Ben now?"

"Sure, lets head!" Jacob exclaimed, exited to hold his son for the first time.

When they arrived, their little boys tubes and cables had all been removed, and he was just lying in the incubator, looking content, the pediatrician was in, dealing with another baby.

"Morning Mrs. Beauchamp, he's doing well this morning, i'll give you ten minutes and I'll come and speak with you both"

"Thank you Dr Stevens, brought his father in to hold him for the first time" Connie walked over to her baby boys incubator, and opened the little panel on the side, carefully putting her hands inside and cradling the baby in her hands, slowly she lifted him out and snuggled him against her chest. The baby let out a small whimper, he was not yet used to being held, Connie wasn't even sure if he knew she was his Mum.

"Come to mama baby" she whispered in his ear. She rocked him in her arms gently before signaling for Jacob to come over, she met his arms with his, gently passing their baby to him.

"You got him?" she asked

"Yep" Connie released her arms from the baby and let Jacob get to know him.

"Hello Ben,I'm your Dad, when your a bit older, we can torment that one over there" referring to Connie. Connie didn't hear what he said, but she looked over, smiling at Jacob bonding with their son. Shortly after, the Doctor came over to speak with them.

"Mrs Beauchamp, Nurse Masters, about Ben, I did want to move him into high dependency care for a few days, however I am really pleased with his progress, he's healthy, easily passing all the newborn tests, and I'm confident you managed to prevent smoke inhalation by keeping him as close to you as possible."

"I did have to resuscitate him, he went into respiratory arrest, he had mucus in his airways" Connie informed him, just incase he didn't know.

"I did know that, but again, I'm confident that there is none remaining, you're also one of the best Doctors I've had the pleasure of speaking with, so I'm confident with your combined skills, and his good health, he is ready to be discharged today, if you want to go and get yourself organized, I'll have his discharge papers ready for you coming back"

About an hour later, they returned to the neonatal unit with a car seat for their baby boy. This time he wasn't back in an incubator, but just in a little cot, waiting for them. Connie picked him up, and put him in some warm clothes, and then strapped him into his little car seat. All she had to do was sign his discharge papers, and he was all theirs, ready to go home.

Jacob picked up the car seat in one hand, and took Connie's with his other, they walked out of the hospital, both on top of the world. They walked out to Jacob's BMW, where they strapped Ben in the back, and got in the car ready to go home. Just before they left, Jacob noticed a small tear running down her cheek.

"Whats the matter?" he put his arm around her and she rested her head on his chest.

"I'm just so happy, check us out, we're parents to that gorgeous little bundle, I couldn't have asked for a better man to father my second child"

"My pleasure babe"

They arrived home, to be greeted by Amelia and Grace. Amelia stayed for a short while, Connie took Ben out of his car seat, and placed him in his moses basket, just beside the sofa they were going to sit on, within minutes he was asleep.

"Right I'm off, I'll pick Grace up for you and take her to school on my way to work for you, can't pick her up though, don't know when I'll be done" Amelia offered, Connie thanked her, giving her niece a hug before she left.

Connie and Jacob snuggled up on the sofa together, just looking in awe at their new baby, Grace was over by the bookshelf, looking for a movie for them all to watch together.

"I pick this one!"

"Whats that then?" Jacob asked

"Mean Girls - I love it!" Grace smiled and Connie laughed

"Well Jacob hates it!" she told Grace

"It's cool, I'll suffer it, I'll be too busy looking at Ben, Queen B"

Grace put the DVD on, and quickly ran over and joined her Mum and Jacob on the couch.