10 - Allen and Elise

geography is hard. pretend it makes sense and the real-life continuity works out because i can tell you right now: it doesn't.

.

"Where did the name 'Maia' come from?" Hiccup asked Luna.

"My parents' last name was Maia, and people started calling me by my last name when I started training. You know, soldier Maia, and all that crap." She rolled her eyes, as if remembering an absurd moment.

"Why did they stop?"

Luneah let out a deep sigh, tears threatening to come out of her Amber eyes. "I just... couldn't. It reminded me of them too much. And the fact that I had to live up to their expectations. They were both legends. Married Elites. And, it's not like I'll keep the name when I marry, anyways."

Hiccup tilted his head. "Elites?"

"Yes. Think of it like the Roman senators and governors." Hiccup didn't know what those were but wisely decided to keep his mouth shut about it. "But, each Elite is responsible for a single craft, unlike a state or a city. There's the Chief, who is the main and most powerful. He controls all the crafts. Then there's the army and navy Elite, who has the second most power. Then craftsmanship, which is basically woodworking and construction... then smithing, and dancing and painting. There are smaller Elites who have less power, but those are the main ones."

"Dancing and painting?"

She sent him a judgemental look. He held up his hands in surrender. It was a valid question! "We take a lot of pride in our arts, here in Isunder. And they are also in charge of a lot of other things... medicine, history, the libraries, languages..."

"Who are the Elites here?"

"Andreas is Chief, and Allen's father is Army Elite, and it is either me or Eret who will take his place. Allen will eventually become Woodworking Elite, although he still has to learn a couple of the other trades. Jeysannia is training to be Smithing Elite, and Elise's—another one of my friends—Aunt is the Elite of dancing and painting."

He nodded. "So, back to the main subject, what's your last name now?"

"Egirium. It's my adoptive father's last name."

She saw a tall, brown-haired man and a blonde girl walk into one of the larger houses. "Speaking of which..."

Luna pulled Hiccup over to the house and opened the door, holding a hand for Toothless to stay outside. 

"Allen! Ellie!" She yelled. "I'm back."

The two that they saw earlier came back down the stairs, arms linked. "Luna! Who is this?"

"This is Hiccup. Valka's child. Hiccup, this is my brother and his girlfriend."

"Hi, I'm Allen." He held out a hand to Hiccup, who gladly took it and gave it a good shake.

"I'm Elise," the girl next to him said. She had long blonde hair and blue eyes that reminded her vaguely of Astrid. "Do you ride a dragon, Hiccup?" She added.

"Yeah. Would you like to see him?" He asked.

"Of course!" Allen exclaimed. "I wonder if it's a Moon Fury."

"Yeah, right. Of course there is a Moon Fury outside," Ellie said, smacking him behind his head for good measure.

Hiccup once again looked over to Luneah. She nodded and Hiccup went over to the door and opened it, whistling for the dragon to enter. He heard a crash behind him, and turned around to see Allen protectively holding Elise behind him. In the process, they knocked over a wooden chair.