Chapter Thirteen

Chapter 13 is here! Enjoy :)

Chapter Thirteen

You fool. You blind, sentimental, stupid fool.

Angel was so busy mentally kicking herself that she almost didn't notice the rider approaching in the distance until he was a few feet away. "Luc?"

The concern on his face faded into relief. "Angel! I was looking all over for you. Miz Nellie went to check on you this morning and found you were gone."

She managed a small smile. "I needed to clear my head, that's all."

He smiled back. "I know how that feels."

"Has the judge arrived yet?"

"Any minute now. Townspeople are all gatherin' at the saloon." Like vultures, he mentally added.

Angel's grip on the reins tightened, but she allowed her horse to fall into step beside Luc's and they rode on for a while in silence until Angel spoke. "I went to see Denton Shannon."

Luc turned to her, his face a mask of surprise. "Why?"

"I found out some evidence that could clear Aidan. I thought if Denton presented that evidence in court, Aidan could go free. I guess I underestimated how much hatred he has for him."

"Do you think Denton had somethin' to do with Aidan being accused?" Luc's dark blue eyes fixed on her face keenly.

"I know it," Angel replied. "But if he won't confess then heaven only knows what's going to happen to Aidan. And then there are the children..." She blinked back tears. "What am I going to do, Luc?"

He pulled his horse to a stop and rested a hand on her shoulder. "I trust ya, Angel. Aidan, the trial, everything...is in God's hands now. You're stronger than you give yourself credit for, and you've done all you can for now. Just trust in that."

She smiled, eyes misty, and squeezed his hand. "You're a good friend, Luc." Brushing a few stray tears away from her cheeks, she straightened and took a deep breath. "Let's get back to town. We shouldn't miss the judge's arrival."

She nudged her horse to a canter. Luc followed at a slightly slower pace, his expression downcast.

~

Judge Bentley arrived just after midday, and by that time, Sweetwater was in a fever of excitement. The saloon had been opened up as the building where the trial was to be held, and men, women, and children crowded inside the swinging doors, stepping on each others' toes and rubbing shoulders with cowhands and saloon girls in their determination not to miss a single part of the proceedings ahead.

Aidan was seated in his cell, Catherine's locket in his hand. Her smiling face stared back at him, eyes as loving and warm as they had been in life. And yet, as he studied the locket, Catherine's face was replaced by another's, the brown eyes kind, the hair a mess of black curls springing around the tanned face. 

Aidan sighed. He hadn't seen Angel since that first visit, and after today, might not ever see her again, and he missed her with all of his heart. 

Sheriff Wyatt approached just then. "Time to go, O'Connor."

Aidan glanced up at him, and then closed his eyes in a quiet prayer. "Lord, I know I haven't been faithful. I've drifted far from what You would have wanted me to be, and yet You've blessed me more in these past few months than I can imagine. Forgive my sins. Look after Angel and the kids, and if it's Your will, give me a chance to show Angel how much she means to me. Amen."