Chapter Thirty-Two

Chapter Thirty-Two (Xed)

A spinechilling scream cut through the silence in the room, sending chills up my spine as I looked up to see Newell writhing on the bed, arching his back and screaming in pain.

My eyes widened and I looked down at the screen to see red lighting up everywhere. I wasn't sure what it meant, but Newell was screaming and he had told me to stop everything if he did. I wasn't going to hesitate. I whirled around to head to the door, but Alexander shot up and got in front of me. I glared at him and went to shove him aside when an unseen force caught me by the wrist and whirled me around, slamming me hard into the wall. I winced, then looked up to see Vladimir holding a finger to his lips. I glared at him and bared my teeth, making Alexander wince.

"We need ten more seconds, Xed. Ten more seconds." Vladimir ordered.

I don't care how many seconds they needed! Newell was in pain! He was squirming and writhing as if he were being tortured. He needed me!

I pushed hard against the unseen force and it wavered, but Vladimir whirled around and shot me a deadly glare that pinned me to the wall. I wanted to scream and shout at them to stop, but nothing came out of my mouth.

And then suddenly everything stopped.

Newell stopped screaming, the force on me stopped, Alexander moved away from the door. I flew out the door fast, almost tripping in the process. I managed to make it to the bed, ripping the restraints off his wrists and letting them fall to the floor in shreds. Newell was breathing hard, his eyes blinking rapidly as he came sharply out of his sleep. I sat him up and he caught me off guard as he grabbed me. I froze, his arms going around my neck, squeezing me tightly. I hesitated for a moment before wrapping my arms around him, lifting him up into my arms.

He was shaking terribly, sweat sticking to his temples, fingernails digging into the back of my neck as if he were afraid someone was going to rip us apart. My heart bled for him so I held him tighter, cradling his head as he gasped hard against my neck. Misha also shot awake, cringing at the restraints. Alexander went over to help him out of them while Vladimir stayed behind in the other room to scan the results, but to hell with the results. I had never seen Newell react like this to anything before in my life.

"We're sorry," Alexander apologized when Misha shot him a dirty look, rubbing his wrists, "We wanted to get this over as soon as possible, but we needed you both in the same room to compare your experiences." I didn't care for his excuses. Newell felt like he was collapsing to pieces in my arms and the tighter I held him, the more he'd stay together. He finally stopped shaking and finally pulled back, and said in a cold voice:

"We're leaving. Now." I nodded and obediently began to carry him to the door. On the way out, Newell glanced back at Alexander, who was looking down guiltily at his feet.

"I want the research data you've collected. Misha, if you want to go home, you're going home now or never." Newell informed. Misha's eyes brightened and he bolted off the bed after us without a second word, leaving Alexander and Vladimir behind to file the data. I carried Newell to our room with Misha trailing beside us.

"That was scary," Misha commented with a shudder, "I was remembering things I'd... well, I never remembered before."

"Tell me about it," Newell muttered and twitched before shaking his head, "I don't want to think about it anymore. I want to get out of here as soon as possible." Misha nodded, then paused with a frown.

"Uhm, what about your kid? Uhm, what was his name... Starling?" He asked. Newell hesitated at that, then shook his head.

"Starling is staying here."