Chapter 4

The soup was ready and Calum had gone to get the band whilst I was serving the soup into 5 bowls. I purposely gave myself a smaller portion than them. On the table Calum had put bread,ham and cheese to go with the soup. I heard the scraping of chairs from the dining room. I picked up two bowls and walked into the dining room, placing the bowls in my hands in front of Luke and Michael. I have Ashton and Calum a bowl before making a third trip back to get my bowl.
"This is good Beth. Did anyone help you?" Ashton asked.
"Calum did, it was his idea." I said.
"She did most of it. I was a supervisor." Calum said as he grabbed a piece of bread and dipping it in.
"You should cook more often." Luke said. I blushed at the compliment. I never really had a talent at cooking. I ate a couple more spoonfuls and looked up from my bowl.
"Can I learn an instrument?" I asked.
"You can choose guitar, bass or drums. You have the right people." Luke said.
"Or you can play saxophone with me." Ashton said.
"Could I go drums or bass please?" I said.
"Ashton and I would love to teach you both." Calum said.
"Both?" I asked.
"Why not? I can play four." Ashton said."I'll even let you use my drum kit.".
"That's a rare thing." Luke said.
"Ok. When do I start?" I asked.
/////////////////////////////////////
After lunch Calum and I were sitting in a large practice room. Ashton and Calum were taking alternate days. Calum let me use a bass of his.
"So this is an E."Calum said and then he played. I copied what he did. We repeated this with the next three strings.
"What song do you want to learn?" He asked.
"Can I learn a Taylor Swift song?" I asked.
"Blank Space or Bad Blood?" He said.
"Bad Blood." I replied. He searched it up on YouTube and started playing it on his bass. He told me the notes and I copied how fast he played them.
After half an hour I went and collapsed on my bed. I fell asleep almost instantly.
/////////////////////////////////////
Luke shook me awake. I opened my eyes and grabbed my phone that was placed on my bedside table. It was 4:36.
"How long have I been asleep?" I asked Luke.
" An hour and fifty." Luke replied "none of us wanted to wake you up.". I sat up and walked into the bathroom locking the door behind me. I washed my hair and brushed out my brown hair. It was extremely long so I tied it into a messy bun. I walked back into my room and pulled open a drawer and grabbed some sweats and a jumper. I changed into those.
I wanted to dye my hair. Michael was next door so I could just ask him. I walked out of my room and knocked on his door.
"Yeah?" He called.
"Can I dye my hair?" I asked as I opened his door.
"What colour?" He asked.
"Purple and dip dye the ends like a light blue." I said.
"I'll ask the band. I can't say yes since I'm not your legal parent." He said "come sit here." He patted a place next to him. I went and sat next to him.
"Calum said you were good at bass." Michael said.
"Really?" I said.
"Yeah. Can you sing?" He asked.
"I dunno." I replied.
"Sing for me then. Anything you want it can be a Disney song for all I care." Michael begged.
"No." I said firmly.
"Please." He asked with puppy eyes.
"Fine." I said.
Oh hey
Good day
I pretend like I'm okay
Crack a smile
Show my face
Hoping just to float away.
I can picture sitting there
In a silly chair
Please just take me anywhere
Anywhere but here
I stopped.
"Meh. Anything else?" He said.
Once apon a younger year
When all our shadows disappeared
The animals inside came out to play
Went face to face with all our fears
Learned our lessons through the tears
Made memories we knew would never fade

One day my father-he told me,
"Son, don't let it slip away."
He took me in his arms, I heard him say,

"When you get older
Your wild heart will live for younger days
Think of me if ever you're afraid."

He said, "One day you'll leave this world behind
So live a life you will remember."
My father told me when I was just a child
These are the nights that never die
My father told me
"Shit." Michael said under his breath.
"What's wrong?" I asked.
"Nothing. You were great." He said.
"I've never been seen as good at anything." I said.
"Is that what you think?" Michael asked.
"I dunno. I can't tell what's real and what's not anymore." I said with tears forming in my eyes.
"It's okay. I know how you feel." He said pulling me into a tight hug. I blinked the tears away. Nothing would get to me.
"I'll talk to the boys about your hair. Okay?" He said. I nodded and got up of his bed. I walked/limped to the kitchen and grabbed a Coke out the fridge.
"A Coke? I thought you drank nothing but water." Someone said. I snapped my head to the side and saw Ashton.
"Perhaps I need a sugar boost or I'm bored of water or I'm just thirsty." I said patronisingly.
"Calm down monkey." He said before wrapping his arms around my waist. I wriggled them away.
"If you need me I'm in the living room." I said. I walked away from Ashton. Why did he do something like that?