Chapter 15

A/N: So, Amos' B-day does take up two chapters, just because he deserves two chapters ;)

So, here we go.

**

Ava returned with two silver trays, trays so full that they were almost overflowing.

"Alright, do you think this is enough?" She asked, tilting her head to the side.

I was still scared that over-excited Ava would come back.

"Um...more than enough...thank you."

The night before...- - -***- - -

I went back to my room, just having heard Amos' mumbling.

So, tomorrow is his birthday, eh? I thought, hardly looking where I was going, I'll have to do something special.

I found myself at my father's door, and quietly opened it.

Phew, there was Chanel, sound asleep on Father's bed.

I began going back to my room, thoughts whirling like mad in my head.

I was thinking of the encounter in the hall, of how Amos had been so quick to hold me, to make sure I didn't fall, to protect me.

My heart rushed just remembering the encounter. We had been so close to each other. And to top all of that off, after hearing what he said to Alistair, I realized something very, very important.

I had fallen in love with him.

- - -**- - -
Ava set the trays down on the bed, and looked strangely nervous.

She kept twiddling with her hair, or fiddling with the seal around her finger.

I, with a worried mind and a turning stomach, slowly began to eat, bending my wings with careful, calculated movements, so as not to embarrass myself.

Ava looked up, a bit startled at the sudden movement, then smiled (to my complete relief and surprise) and followed suit, taking a few pieces of bread and some jam for herself.

And then we began to talk, about anything and everything.

She told me about when she was five, and accidentally spilled ink all over her hands, leaving them stained black for weeks.

I told her about the time I thought it was a good idea to kick a goat in the rear and see if it would get angry.

We talked about our mothers, and I found out that her mother had died of small-pox when Ava was 6. I told her about my dream.

We carried on like this for hours, and before we knew it, the sun was setting outside, the food on the trays nearly gone.

"Come on," she said suddenly, taking me by the wing (that seemed to be a new habit with her). She took me out a back door to reveal a huge and winding garden, full of roses and sunflowers, lilies, and about a hundred other flowers that I didn't know the names of, all of which was basked in a glow of orange and red, the sunset blazing as a backdrop.

"This, this is beautiful," I said, shaking my head in wonder (that seemed to be a new habit withme).

"The whole garden was my mother's idea, she never saw it when she was alive, but she can see it now. After she passed, my father had it built in her honor," she sighed, "this is one of my favorite places to go." I could see the tears in her eyes, threatening to fall.

There was silence, I couldn't think of anything to say, so I just put a wing around her shoulders.

At first she looked surprised, and I winced, thinking I had done something wrong, but then she leaned into my touch, looking out at the garden.

She shivered, fall was coming and the air was getting chillier, I gently pulled her a bit closer, and she snuggled against my shoulder.

I could think of only one thing that would perfect that moment, but I didn't think I had the courage.

I took a deep breath, and risked everything.

- - -***- - -

My eyes flew open when Amos kissed me. It wasn't long, and it wasn't strange.

It was over in a second, but it seemed like it lasted longer, and I blinked in surprise.

Then, I smiled.

To Be Continued...