Chapter 20

A/N: *Da na na naaa, da na na naa...* does anyone else hear wedding bells? Lol, here it is, at long last, CHAPTER 20

**

I gulped, pacing around the small room tensely. The maids in the palace had insisted that I stay in my old room until the time of the wedding, seeing as it was supposedly "bad luck" to see the bride before the wedding.

I sighed shakily, my chest shuddering.

I began pacing again.

- - -***- - -
All of the palace girls were buzzing around me, fussing over this and that. I tried to blow a stray piece of hair out of my face, but it was quickly put 'back into place'. I almost sighed in relief when they finally dissipated, leaving me on my lonesome, at least for a couple of minutes.

I turned to look at myself in the full-length mirror the girls had brought in, and I hardly recognized my reflection.

The dress was modest, with some lace trim on the bottom hem and the wrist-long sleeves, and a long but simple veil that almost melted into the train of the dress.

They had applied some,..,something to my cheeks, making them a rosy pink, like I had just come inside to escape a bitter chill.

One of the maids knocked on the door and poked her head in.

"Your Majesty, it's time." She said with an almost imperceptible glimmer in her eyes.

"Thank you, Maltilda." I said, smiling before following her out the door.

"I must say, Your Majesty, that you sure know how to pick 'em."

I laughed at the unexpected comment. "He is rather handsome, isn't he."

She nodded her head in agreement. "You're lucky that your father isn't one to force you into marrying a prince."

I thought about this for a moment, I had never even thought of the old custom that my father had done away with.

"Yes," I said softly, "Yes, I am blessed."

- - -**- - -

I waited anxiously at the end of the outdoor-aisle, talking big, breaths, hoping they would calm me.

They didn't.

After what seemed like a lifetime, Ava appeared, holding a bouquet of sunflowers (how they found them at this time of the year I will never know), with her father at her side, smiling like the Sun.

She finally reached the end and stood, looking at me, smiling at me.

The priest cleared his throat, "Dearly beloved, we've gathered here today before the Lord Almighty to see the Holy matrimony of Amos Anthony Tanner and Ava Mona Carman,"the priest looked at the two of us, then out over the crowd, Mr. Gunnepeli wiped away a tear.

"Amos Anthony Tanner, do you take Ava Mona Carman as your lawfully wedded wife, for better or for worse, in sickness and in health, to hold her and love her, as long as you both shall live?"

I swallowed hard, my heart beating so fast it seemed like it would force its way out of my ribcage.

"I do." A gold chain with a ring hanging from it was placed over my head.

"Ava Mona Carman, do you take Amos Anthony Tanner as your lawfully wedded husband, for better or for worse, in sickness and in health, to hold him and to love him, as long as you both shall live?"

- - -***- - -

"I do." I said quietly, overcome with emotion.

"Before I pronounce you husband and wife, are there any objections to this matrimony, speak now, or forever hold your peace."

No one in the crowd stirred, all of them were waiting for Alistair to jump up and say, "I object," but all was deathly quiet.

The priest waited a moment before speaking. "I now pronounce you Husband and Wife, you may now kiss the bride."

Amos leaned in and kissed me gently, as he was pulling away he whispered a quiet, "I love you."

I laced my fingers behind his neck, saying, "I love you, too. Now about the honey moon..."

Just then a young page came running into the garden, waving a piece of parchment in the air.

"This, this is from Prince Alistair!!! He's gone, just up and left from his royal position, this is his resignation."

There were gasps and little, "Oh my goodness"'s.

My father stood, only barely disguised confusion on his face.

"With Alistair gone," he swallowed then looked towards Amos and I.

"With Alistair gone," he repeated,"Amos is to be the next king."

To Be Continued...

A/N: Omg!!! I loved writing this chapter! Now, the way I figure it, everyone will be like, "Wait a second, isn't /Ava/ supposed to be the next ruler???"

So let me clear this up, Ava will be the Queen, Amos the King, and they will make decisions together, and they both have the same amount of power in court decisions and the like.

So, yes. 'Till Next Chapter!!!