Chapter Six

Dom parked his car in the back then got out and approached the small group that had gathered Letty walking beside him. When the service began he noticed Skylar looking around Letty noticed as well.

"She's looking for you," she told him quietly. He shook his head saying nothing in return seeing that Skylar had stopped fidgeting.

When the minister asked for anyone who was willing to share how Renee had impacted their life he wasn't surprised to see the woman that took her in to speak. He only half listened as he watched Skylar but when Alicia stepped down and Skylar stepped up and turned he was shocked beyond words as she found him in the back and started speaking her eyes looking with his.

He knew she wasn't talking to the group but directly to him and he never once looked away as she spoke. She didn't speak in anger but in truth. She wasn't blaming him for not being there but was following in her mother's footsteps and forgiving. He could tell how she struggled to get the words out by how she clenched and unclenched her right hand as she spoke.

"Seems she's gotta bit of your temper too," Letty whispered after Skylar had sat down.

"Yeah," he said shrugging, "guess so."

They both watched as the coffin was lowered then how Skylar stood and pulled each of the petals off the rose. Dom didn't know how to approach the girl although he knew that now wasn't the time.

"We just gotta give her time," he told Letty as they walked to his car.

"True but then why did you come all the way down here? I thought you were going to try to talk to her or at least meet her face to face. Don't tell me that the great Dom Toretto is scared of some kid," she said with a snort, "Aren't they having some sort of get together after this?"

"Don't know," he said getting into the car.

"Then I say we wait and see where they're going after this."

"I'm not going to stalk her," he said starting the car as he noticed other people leaving. Letty opened her mouth to say something then closed it shaking her head at the stubborn man that sat beside her.

They continued to sit in silence waiting for Skylar and Alicia to leave. He watched them get into her car and pull off and he did the same keeping his distance. When he noticed that they were headed to the house he had to park nearly a block away from the other cars that were already parked close to the house. As he and Letty got out of his car and started walking toward the house he noticed that there was a slight commotion in the front of the yard causing him to quicken his pace.

He saw Skylar facing toward him talking to a lanky guy that was standing as if ready to fight. Skylar herself looked about ready to gouge out the guy's eyes as she stood there her eyes narrowed.

"What the hell?!" he heard her say, "I told you I didn't ever want to see you again!"

"Easy baby," the guy said stepping closer to her.

"Get the hell away from me Nate," she said stepping back, "You have no right to be here so just go."

She turned to go but was stopped when Nate grabbed her hand and pulled her to him. Dom saw red as he saw the guy talking to her while holding her head still with his other hand their faces inches from each other.

"Dom," Letty said warningly but it was too late as he was already walking up to the two.

"Hey," he said in an almost growl causing the guy to jump and turn around. Skylar took the opportunity to step back out of the guy's reach then started rubbing the wrist that he'd grabbed.

"I think the girl told you to leave," he said.

"Easy pops. We was just havin a lil talk here," he said sauntering up to Dom.

Suddenly a head popped out from the front door, "Nathaniel Lewis you have exactly five seconds to get off this property before I call the cops," Alicia called out. The young man took one last look at Dom then turned and looked at Skylar.

"I'll see you later," he said to her before sauntering down the lawn to a sleek black Camaro the bass booming out of the speakers as he drove off.

"I'm assuming you're Dom?" Skylar said after watching the car disappear.

He nodded, "And you're Skylar," he said.

"That I am," she said feeling a sudden awkwardness.

"You need to get some ice on that it's starting to swell," he said adding to the wrist she was still rubbing.

"I've had worse," she said with a shrug causing Dom and Letty both to narrow their eyes.

'What the hell else had this girl been through?' Dom thought as they followed her up into the house.