Chapter VII: The Feast

Raina

"Thank you all, for your time in celebrating the winner of the hunt, my brother, Jonah Vladimir."

The sea of people loudly cheer. Jonah and I stand and he wraps and arm around my shoulders. We take our seats again at the head of a long wooden table. People are arranged by rank all the way down the table.The night is a cold one but with the swarm of bodies and glowing embers drifting through the air, I find myself with a glowing warmth.

The night is a cold one but with the swarm of bodies and glowing embers drifting through the air, I find myself with a glowing warmth

People laugh and talk all around but our head of the table is tense and awkward. Charles stands behind my. Chair watching silently.

"So, Adrian, how has Rainy been in my absence?"

Glaring at his food Adrian spits out his remark, "happier."

I lightly kick Adrian under the table and he straightens up, still sporting a scowl on his face.

"I was thinking, since the hunt ran so long that Rainy could join me in my chambers."

Adrian's eyes snap up and he leans forward letting a growl release from his chest.

"Rainy will not-"

"Actually, Jonah, I was thinking I could have a private chamber for the night. Running around all day has taken a lot out of me."

Jonah ponders for a moment then nods lightly, "That sounds reasonable, and we wouldn't want your dear king to be upset, now would we?"

Upon finishing his question, Jonah lays a heavy hand on my thigh, and when I try to remove it, it won't budge. I feel a flash of anger that is quickly toned down from Charles.

I turn my head to see him looking right at me and I give him a slight smile.

We all redirect our attention to our food and try to continue the festivities in peace.