Chapter IX: The Aftermath

Charles

Faster and faster my heart beats, my blood boils, and I'm moments away from lashing out to hit something, but then my attention is brought back to her. From the moment I saw her I've felt more alone than I have in my whole life, I thought myself addled for thinking she could be my mate. Time and time again I hold myself back from striking down that pompous king and the vampire prince. I could physically feel myself losing strength as hours went by without me feeling her acceptance in the bond. I felt as though I would die.

Now, I couldn't be more alive. Felling her soft full lips against my own and her dainty hands fisted at the back of my head made hope and power course through my veins. It's as if I'm a king. My hands that dwarf her size roughly grip her hips as I pull her flush against me. A startled gasps passes through her lips and I rush to catch it and delve my tongue into her mouth.

We pull away and I stare into her eyes contemplating my next move.

"How could you-"

"Will you sleep with me, Charles,"  I glare at her interruption but feel my jeans tightening at her words.

I start to cough having choked on my own spit a small giggle erupts from her. it always shocks me how delicate and young she can act considering the fact that shes old enough to take me and Adrian down at the same time. It makes me feel less worthy of the title as her mate knowing she can take better care of me than I can of her.

"I don't mean for us to mate, Charles, I only  mean for us to sleep."

I breathe deeply and watch her get into the bed, she gives me and intense look as she never breaks eye contact and takes off the night gown she had changed into. A lump forms in my throat that I struggle to swallow down.

I move to the bed and lie next to her on my side and just stare at her. She timidly moves to put her back flush against my chest and I wrap my arm around her middle. I feel warmth in my chest and my inner beast purring at the close contact with my mate.

"Raina?"

"Yes, Charles?"

"Can I just ask you one question?"

There is a moment of silence and I fear she will never answer any of my questions.

"Sure."

"Why did you do it, not tell me I mean, we could have still been together and kept it a secret... I feel my wolf loosing the light that keeps it going at being without my mate."

She turns, angling her face for us to lock eyes.

"If we had done anything and got caught, not only would Adrian have killed you but he would have-" she stops and wipes her eyes of a few tears, "It would not have been good and I could not save you and have you be with me then have you taken from me in a horrific way. An Charles... I can't loose you. I have been alive for too long and waited to long to loose you."

Taken aback by her confession I inwardly scold myself for thinking the worst, I had assumed she was too ashamed to be mated to me. So I wipe her eyes and bring her into my embrace, I'm no where near done with this conversation but I want to cherish this time I have with my mate and luna. Who knows how long it will last?

Not only would the king be a force to reckon with but my pack, my being mated with royalty goes against everything The Rebellious Pack stands for.