Chapter 8~ Ed

As I watch Netflix, I can tell that Amber is gradually getting sleepier. She keeps on nodding off, and eventually she can't fight it anymore and her head gently falls on my shoulder. I don't protest. She sleeps there for a little while, and at about 10:00 PM I decide to turn off the TV. I decide that instead of letting Amber sleep on the couch that she should go to bed. She has done so much for me this weekend. I check to make sure her door is open, and push back the covers on her bed so I can cover her up easier later. Then, I go back to the couch, and pick her up. She's pretty light for a person, but still kinda heavy. I carry her to her room, and gently set her down on the bed. I take her many blankets and cover her with them.

I take a few steps toward the door, but I look back and she just looks so peaceful. So, I go back and lay down on that couch across from her bed. I look at her for a few seconds before she opens her eyes sleepily, and waves at me. "Goodnight,"she whispers, sleepily.

I smile, but before I can wave back she has her eyes closed again. Soon after, her breathing slows, and she's asleep. "Goodnight, Amber,"I whisper back.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

I'm awoken in the middle of the night by someone screaming. I sit up too fast, and feel a little dizzy. I look into the faint moonlight of the room, and Amber is screaming and thrashing in her bed.

"Amber! What's wrong," I yell over her screaming.

No reply.

I stand up, and look at her closer. I think she's still asleep.

Suddenly, the screaming ceases, and she stops thrashing around. She takes one hand and reaches out into the darkness above her. Then, she screams, "NO," and the hand is quickly pulled back to her chest.

She starts shaking, and begins to make this sound. It starts off quiet at first then she wailing so loud I cover my ears. At the same time, the shaking gradually get worse.

I try to shake her awake, "Amber! Wake up! Please wake up!"

She stops screaming, but is still slightly shaking and a single tear rolls down her cheek. In the darkness it falls onto her pillow.

I don't know how to wake her, but this has to stop. She's going to give herself a heart attack. I crawl into the bed with her, and put my arms around her. "Amber! Amber, wake up!"

The shaking stops, and she flinches. She turns over, and looks at me. She puts her arms around me. "You were screaming,"I whisper.

Amber cries out,"She's dead,"and rests her head on my chest.

This startles me. I tighten my grip around her, and say,"It's okay. It's okay. Don't worry. I've got you."

She just lays there, crying for a little while. Then, she looks up, and says," Ed, will you stay with me?"

I look into her eyes, and pull her close. I put my head on her shoulder, and whisper back,"Yes."

We remain like this for a long time. Amber falls asleep somewhere along the way, but her arms remain around me.

I stay awake longer, wondering who this "she" is that died in Amber's dream. I feel like it was something that really happened to someone in her life because most people wouldn't be this tore up about it after they woke up. Eventually, I drift off to sleep as well.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

When I wake up Amber is right there, beside me, looking into my eyes with her beautiful blue eyes. She's grinning at me. She pokes me in the face, "Good morning, sleepy head."

I sit up. "Morning."

She sits up too."Today is the day! You get to hit the road again." She's acting like she's happy for me, but her smile falters. She looks down at her lap. When she looks up she doesn't even try to hide it,"I'm going to miss having someone to talk to." She hugs me tightly.