Chapter 1~ Amber

It's been a normal day so far. I went to school, and now I'm on my way home. I remember that I ran out of frozen pizzas, so I stop at a Dollar General near my house. When I say 'near' I mean 10 minutes away because there isn't much near my house other than fields, trees, and the creek that runs in front of my house. And this store hasn't really been here that long, actually, it's only been here a few months. I walk through the doors, and nod at the girl working at the front desk. I grab some off brand pizzas, and a two liter of Sun Drop. I put them on the counter, and the girl scans them and puts them in bags.

"Will that be all" she asks. I nod in response.

"Then your total will be $13.50." I get a wrinkled 20 dollar bill out of my pocket and hand it to her. I get done checking out, and put the groceries in the back seat.

The drive home was uneventful, and consisted mainly of me changing radio channels until I realized that I'll only be able to pick up static and country music. I don't like either. So, I sigh in defeat and just turn the radio off.

A few minutes later, I pull into my long driveway, and get the mail from the "Bill Box" as I like to call it. I return to my car with a hand full of bills, drive over bumpy rocks, and through the creek up to my house.

I dump my school stuff in front of the door, and bring the pizzas into the kitchen. I put one in the oven then go grab the rest of my stuff out of my car, and put it away. I grab the house phone. Since, sadly, there's no cell service in my house. Actually in this small town there isn't really much service in most places. I call my mom, and tell her I got home safely. She tells me that my dad and her aren't going to be back until next week because they have to do something for work. I hang up the phone, and finally realize that it's Friday. I like Fridays. Maybe I'll have a party by myself! (Not likely. I will listen to music loudly though!)

The timer goes off for the pizza, and I take it out if the oven. I pour myself a large glass of Sun Drop, and begin eating. I get interrupted by a knock at the door. Which is odd because I didn't hear a car pull up, and I didn't hear my lazy dog, Jake, bark. I look out the window to see if I notice the car in the driveway, but am surprised because there is no car outside. So, I get kinda scared. Then, I realize if there was a murderer at the door they probably wouldn't have knocked. So, I go to the door. I see a man outside. He has messy, red hair, and is wearing a minty, green hoodie and dark jeans.

"Who are you," I ask, and I put my hand in my pocket and hold onto my pocketknife, just in case.

"Um... I'm Ed, and I'm not from around here. Um... not at all, and I got lost and my car ran out of gas. So, I was looking for some help. Can you help me? I only need you to take me to a gas station. I'll pay for the gas," he says, and I notice that he has an accent that isn't like anything I've ever heard in real life but I have heard accents like his on TV. I like his accent better though. It sounds amazing.

"Um.. sure just let me grab my keys. Come in, I guess. I don't really think you're a murderer, I hope. My name is Amber by the way. Are you hungry? I just made a pizza," I say opening the door wider to let him in.

"I can't thank you enough. Thank you, and I would be okay with some pizza if it isn't too much trouble," he says, smiling shyly.

"Oh its no trouble at all," I tell him, the corners of my mouth turning up. I lead him into the kitchen and tell him to sit and dig in.

I ask him,"What would you like to drink, Ed?"

"I'll have what you Southerners are known for."

"Tea it is then," I say laughing. Tea isn't really my cup of tea though. My parents just keep some around usually because that's how people in Tennessee are. I like my tea best when it's hot. Unless my grandpa makes it. His tea is great!