Chapter 14~ Ed

I sit here in Amber's room, waiting for her to wake. Various members of her family and a few old friends come visit her. Her grandparents had just left, saying that they would be back as soon as possible, but they had to get some clothes and things to stay here if they had to.

It is creepily silent in here. The only sounds are of machines whirring and beeping and the occasional person walking down the hall. I stand up, and kneel at the edge of her bed.

I wish this never happened to her. I know the doctor has said that she is only sleeping, but she still looks dead. The only way that you can tell she is still alive is the gentle rising and falling of her chest.

I take her limp hand in mine. It is still warm. Suddenly, the beeping of her heart monitor speeds up. I smile and give her a gentle hug. Maybe that will wake her up. I whisper her name."Amber."

Her heart is continuing to speed up, and I'm sure mine is too. I close my eyes, and picture her smiling face. I am startled by something touching me, and when I open my eyes I see Amber looking at me. With glittery blue eyes. She put one arm on my back. "Hi," she says, weakly.

I smile at her, and say,"Hey. I missed you."

She grins and closes her eyes. Her arm drops back to the bed. "I've certainly felt better," she says.

I chuckle, and kneel next to her again. "So have I. You scared me to death."

"I'm sorry." She opens her eyes, and scoots over in the small bed. "Here," she pats the spot next to her.

I go sit beside her. She scoots over some more, and says,"You must be tired. Lay down."

I look at her, and lie on my side. "I saw you," she whispers.

I raise an eyebrow, in question, and she continues,"I saw you while I was asleep."

"What do you mean,"I ask.

"I dreamed that you were the only one that stayed, but I didn't even know who you were or anyone else was. I had completely forgotten my past," she continues in a quieter tone," But after watching the way you were staring at me, I began to ship us." She closes her eyes.

I smile. "I think you may be able to see real events in your dreams, Amber."

"I can,"she says," Sometimes, I predict the future. It isn't very accurate sometimes, but usually the main theme of it is correct. For example, as a kid I had this dream where my family and I were at the family reunion and we dropped something important in the river. The next year, we did drop a boat part in the water, and I think someone had to buy a new one. Something that was consistant between that dream and the actual occurance was this pair of shoes someone had left on a bench by the water."

"Have you predicted anything else?" I ask.

She falls silent, in thought, and quietly says,"I have. I've predicted many things, and I think I predicted their deaths." Amber closes her eyes.

"Whose deaths?"

She opens her eyes slowly. "My parents." She struggles to sit up. "I have to get out of here! I need to leave! I need to see them!"

Her panicking has caused the beeping of her heart monitor to escalate. I tell her to lay down.

"No, Ed! I have to see them!" She moves her feet over the edge of the bed, and tries to stand up.

"Amber, you're being ridiculous! Get back in your bed!" I stand up.

Tears stream down her face as she tries to rip off the IVs and other attachments. She grits her teeth as she pulls out an IV, but simply puts a cotton ball on it to stop the bleeding. I move over to the call button, and put my fingers on it,"Amber, stop this. Get back in that bed."