Chapter Twelve

"Hi, I'm here to pick up Alex Wilson."

The cop looks down at some paper work.

"Right this way ma'am."

I follow him down a hallway. They open a door to reveal a drunk Alex.

"Let's go," I say to him. I start walking.

"Babe, wait, slow down." He tries to follow, but is stumbling too much.

"Ma'am?" an officer says to me.

"Yes, sir?" I reply.

"Would you like some help getting him out to your car?"

"Yes, please, sir."

He grabs Alex's arm and leads him to the door. Once we are outside I open Alex's door for him.

"Thank you very much, officer." I close Alex's door, with him on the inside. "Do you know what happened?" I ask.

"Well," the officer says. "When we got there, this young man was hitting another young man. When we were driving him to the station he told us all about you and your baby."

"Oh, uh, yeah we are having a baby. Now I'm about eight weeks. So I'm not that far. We still have to months until we even know what we're having."

"Well, congratulations, ma'am. I hope you two can figure out whatever is going on."

"Thank you, sir." With that, he walks away.

I walk to the other side of the car and get in.

The drive home is silent. Alex fell asleep the second the car started moving.

When we get home, I walk to his side and open the door. "Alex, wake up."

He slowly opens his eyes. He steps out of the car and walks to the door. I grab my keys and follow him.

I unlock the door and he walks in. I follow behind. "Babe," he says. He's a little sobered up, but I can tell he's still tipsy. "I'm so sorry. I don't know what came over me. I feel like an idiot. I should never have freaked out."

I stand with my arms crossed.

"Babe, I really am sorry. I will never do something like that again."

I feel tears prick my eyes. "Alex, you need to listen to me very closely right now. I'm going to my parents house. I'm staying there for a while. I don't know how long."

That's when he sees my suitcase by the door.

"Brooke, please. Please don't go."

"Alex, you beat someone up! You hurt someone. What would our baby think?"

"Don't do that. Don't bring up the baby."

"Alex, I'm not gonna let our baby growing up thinking it's okay to hurt people if they make you mad enough. I'm going to stay with my parents. I think maybe..."

"Maybe what, Brooke?"

"Maybe we should call off the wedding." I feel my stomach drop when I say this.

"Babe, please don't say that." I see tears in Alex's eyes.

"I'm sorry, Alex."

I grab my bag and walk out the door.