Chapter Thirteen

When I get to my parents house, my mom is the only one awake.

"Brooke? What's wrong?"

I just cry. She hugs me until I stop. I tell her everything.

"Hunny, I know you're probably not going to like what I have to say, but you aren't calling off the wedding and you shouldn't have left. It was a big fight, it was a huge problem, but you should go back. Fix this, don't let it die."

"Mom, he didn't believe me, then he went out, got drunk, hit someone, and got arrested! Arrested! I had to pick him up from the police station."
"Hunny, I've picked up your dad twice now."
"What?" I yell.
"He saw a guy flirt with me and he went crazy."
I sigh. "Alright. I'll fix this. But I need a few days."
"And that's okay, sweetie." My mom kisses my forehead and walks to her room.
I walk up the stairs and head to what used to be my room. I see all my old posters. My old blanket. I lay in my bed and wrap up in that blanket and grab the teddy bear I used to cuddle with every night.
I touch my stomach. "Don't worry baby. We'll figure this out."
*****
I hear a knock at my door. I keep my eyes closed. If I don't answer, they'll leave.
They knock again. Then my door opens.
"Alex?" I say.
"Brooke, babe, we need to talk."
"Yeah, we do."
He looks awful. "I have a huge headache, so let's keep the yelling to a minimal."
"There's not going to be yelling," I say.
"I over reacted and I shouldn't have left like I did. But you over reacted to. And you didn't believe me. You have to believe me for this to work."
"I know baby, and I'm so sorry!"
He grabs my hand. "When I proposed I was making a promise. A promise that I would love you. A promise that we would be together forever. A promise that stuff like this wouldn't tear us apart."
I feel tears prick my eyes. I lean in and wrap my arms around his neck, then I kiss him. He kisses back very willingly.
"Does that mean you're coming home?" He asks hopefully.
"Of course I am."