Chapter Ten

Work goes by slow, but I only have 30 minutes. I wonder what I should cook for dinner tonight? I'll look for something when I'm at the store.

"Brooke?" I hear someone call.

"Yeah?" I reply.

"We need you in room 3."

"Okay, be there in a second."

I grab my stethoscope and walk into the room. There's a girl about 5 or 6 in there. She coughs.

"Hi, sweetie, what's your name?" I ask her.

"Olivia," she tells me.

"Alright, Olivia, I'm gonna check your heartbeat and your lungs, okay?"

She nods.

I put my stethoscope on her back. "Take a deep breath for me. Okay, take another one."

"You sound a little congested, the doctor will be in here in just a few minutes to check more vitals and things like that."

"Thank you," Olivia says.

"Yes, thank you very much," says her mother.

"Would you like a sticker?" Olivia nods.

"Do you want Dory, Barbie, or Cars?"

"Dory, please!"

I pull open the drawer and pull out a Dory sticker. I hand it to her to see a big smile before walking out of the room.

I grab some of the charts off the counter and put them into the computer. Only fifteen more minutes.

When I'm done, I grab my purse and go to clock out. Time to go to the store. I text Alex and tell him I'm going to the store now.

I get into my car and drive to the store.

As I'm walking down the aisles looking for stuff on the list and stuff to make for dinner, I hear someone calling my name.

"Brooke?"

I turn around.

"Brodie? Hi, um, wow it's been a while since I've seen you."

"Well, I've been traveling."

I feel extremely awkward talking to Brodie. We haven't talked since we broke up, because he was cheating on me.

"Hey, listen Brooke, I'm sorry about what happened. I never meant to hurt you the way I did."

"Just water under the bridge," I say.

"Alright well I see you're shopping so I'll let you get back to it." He leans in for a hug. I hug him back lightly. As he's pulling away he kisses me.

"Brodie, what the hell do you think you're doing?" I yell at him.

"Sorry, Brooke. You said water under the bridge I thought you forgave me."

"Forgave you sure, but that doesn't mean kiss me!"

He looks awkward. "I thought you may still have feelings for me. I mean I figured you and Alex had broken up since you aren't wearing a ring."

"It has been years since we broke up. so, no I don't still have feelings for you. And I took my ring off because I'm a nurse and putting gloves on is hard while you're wearing a ring. Alex and I are getting married in a couple months."

I walk away with my cart and go to check out.

I feel super angry on my way home.

As I walk in the door I see Alex sitting and watching tv.

"Hey, babe. How was work?"

"It was fine, we need to talk."