Road Trip

"I'll drive." Maine volunteered.

"No, ako na. Puyat ka." RJ countered.

"Look who's talking. Sinong mas puyat sa'tin?"

"I'm the guy."

"And so? Hindi na ba pwedeng magdrive ang babae ngayon? Sige na please."

He sighed and gave her the car keys. He didn't want to argue anymore and come on, he'd never be able to resist his girlfriend.

They both hopped inside the car and Maine connected her phone to the car stereo. Along the way, they went for a McDo drive-thru. They both shared fits of laughter as Maine imitated RJ in their TVC, looking dreamily at their standees and posters, greeting and thanking the waitress with a polite nod and a wide smile.

When she was finished with her cheeseburger, he fed her fries every now and then, also making her drink her coke float in between. They sang along to their favorite hits. Maine has a playlist of the songs that remind her of him and the both of them, songs that RJ sings to her, and those that they just randomly sing along to. Minutes later, the drive got quiet as RJ felt the tiredness kick in from last night's commitment. Maine noticed this and reached to rub his face with her thumb as she shifted glances between the road and her boyfriend.

"Aww antok ba baby ko? Sige, sleep ka muna diyan. I got this."

He held her hand closer to his face and kissed it. Maine let him until he fell asleep and she carefully pulled her hand from his grasp so she'd have both of her hands on the wheel. She'd steal a glance every now and then, and take in how peaceful and adorable RJ looked as he slept.

After an hour or so, RJ woke up and glanced at Maine, it was now her turn to feel tired. He sat up straight and leaned in to give her a peck on the cheek for energy boost.

"Antok ka na. My turn." He offered and she nodded. They pulled over to exchange seats and then went back on the road. Maine would occasionally get his hand to rub circles on, kiss, hold it to her face, or just play with it because she missed him. And also to keep him awake.

She just looked at RJ as he drove, and got her phone from her bag. She silently snapped a photo of him without him noticing.

@mainedcm: "Let's go somewhere far from here. Somewhere only we know. Just the two of us."