CHAPTER 37: The Tournament (Part 3)

Splash!

That’s what she hears before she is sucked right into the icy blue water... Her whole system has been invaded with seeping coldness… The vivid gushing of the water seems to deafen her ears… It’s like they’re roaring… trying to shatter her… If that can only be possible… For a moment, it feels like she’s stuck… just floating… lost… barely hanging in the middle of unknown…

The pool of gravity is pulling her into the deeper depths of the water… Pinilit niya ang sarili na pumaibabaw… Sinubukan niyang  ikawag ang mga kamay at paa… Ngunit hindi na niya maramdaman ang mga ito… They may be numbed with the intense coldness surrounding her… Pinipilit niyang lumaban… She’s trying… Really trying… But it’s hopeless… She can barely move at all… Her heart… Her mind… It feels like they’re gone… It’s feels like they’re not existing anymore… It’s only then… Right then that she decides to stop … Hinayaan niya ang sariling higit na mahila pailalim… She can’t see anything… it’s just creeping darkness…

She keeps on telling herself that it’s hopeless… Wala na siyang maramdaman… Maybe, this is it… Maybe, she’s really gonna die here… Siguro, hindi na matatagpuan ang bangkay niya… Hindi man lang mayayakap ng kanyang ina at kapatid ang malamig niyang bangkay… Maybe, this is how they want her to die… That’s how they hate her so much that they want her to vanish forever…

Obviously, this isn’t the finish line… This cannot be the finish line… But it seems to be the end… The end of her… Unti-unti nararamdaman na niya ang panghihina… Slowly, her lungs are being filled with the icy water… Slowly, it’s engulfing her… Ang kakarampot na hangin na natitira ay unti-unti nang nauubos… She’s fighting for her consciousness… Is she giving up?... She’s too weak… Slowly, she closes her eyes…

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

There’s something around her… Nararamdaman niyang may nakabalot sa kanya… She feels like she’s still floating… But it’s like she’s soaring… Soaring high above… It’s still cold everywhere… Maybe, she’s already dead…

Ramdam niyang tila naiaangat siya… Magaan ang buo niyang katawan na tila ba siya’y naiduduyan. Maya-maya ay tila ba siya’y inilapag sa bahaging alam niyang hindi na siya lumulutang… Malamig pa rin ang paligid. Ngunit may mainit na bahagi na patuloy na sumasakop sa kanyang mga labi… She can feel the continuous rush of air from that source… It feels like it’s giving her another breath… Another breath of air to breathe… But she’s already dead, right? Surely, she can’t be alive… Maybe, this is heaven… This feels like heaven…

Kung nasa langit man siya’y ayaw na niyang magising pa…

“Kath… Kathryn… “

Even that voice sounds like an angel…

“Babe… Babe, please wake up…”

An angel is calling her a babe…  

“Babe… please…”

Nagmamakaawa na ang tono nito… That’s when she realizes the familiarity of the voice… She tries to open her eyes… It’s hard… Her eyelids are heavy… Pero pinipilit niya… Gusto niya itong makita…

~~~~~~~~~

More attempts to open her eyes… Intense brightness is what she sees first…  Nung una ay malabo… Muli siyang kumurap… Tanaw niya ang asul na langit na napapalibutan ng makakapal na ulap… Napakalayo ng mga ito sa kanya… Ngunit paano nangyari iyon? Hindi ba ay nasa langit na siya? Ang langit ba ay may langit din na tinitingala? O baka naman hindi talaga siya karapat-dapat manatili doon at bagkus ay nasa impyerno na siya? Ngunit napakalamig ng paligid…