Chapter 16: Snow Day

I feel hands shaking me, and I open my eyes, blinking away the blurriness. Kanda was next to me, "Allen, come look at this."

I sit up and stand. He leads me to the balcony and I immediately see what he was trying to show me. The town under the Order was a winter wonderland, the snow falling loosely like pixie dust being blown off a table. I glance at the clock and find that it's about ten, and decide to ask, "Can we go play in it?"

He says, "Yes, we can do whatever you want."

I smile, darting around to put on the warmest clothes I owned. I took a pill, and eventually, I was wearing a turtleneck, heavy coat, snow pants, boots, and gloves. Kanda merely had on his exorcist uniform, and I was about to tell him to put on something warmer when he began to pull me out of our room. We have to stop by the cafeteria and eat. I ate every hot thing Lenalee had on the list I gave Jerry. There wasn't anyone else in the dining room other than a finder, and I assumed they were out in the snow.

Once Kanda and I were at the doors, I say, "Do you want me to show you my favorite place at the Order?"

He looks uncertain for a second, and then he nods as we push open the huge doors. Instantly, we're blasted with cold air and the snow flies in. I laugh and run out into the white wonderland, twirling around in the snow up to my mid-calf. The bluenette follows, not nearly as enthusiastically.

I let myself fall, a soft thud sounding before I sink into the cold flakes. I didn't really feel the cold, and I begin moving my arms and legs, making a snow angel. "What are you doing?"

Pushing my body up, I sit in the snow and look at my confused boyfriend. I tilt my head, "You never made a snow angel before?"

He shook his head, "No, what is it?"

I reply, "Lay down on your back." He hesitantly followed the instruction and disappeared under the thick blanket of icy fluff. I call, "Now act like you're doing jumping jacks."

I stand, peering at Kanda in the snow as he made his first snow angel. I gesture for him to stand and he does so, looking down at the imprint. He says, "That's a snow angel?"

"What kind of childhood did you have? Have you ever made a snowman or had a snowball fight?"

He shakes his head, snow falling out of his long ribbons, "I know what they are, but never made or had one."

"Well, I'll have to do something about that," I say as I pull him down the hill. We got to my field a few minutes later. He asks, "Where are we?"

"It's a field under the Order. I come down here every night during the summer," I tell him as I drag him to the clearing I lie in to watch the fireflies. The grass was as tall as my waist since it was never cut, and it swayed and swished around Kanda and me. We finally got to the small clearing where I sit in the summer. I say, "This is it."

He looks around, "This is your favorite place at the Order?"

I nod, "I know it's not much, but I love it here so much." He looks like he understands and I ask, "Okay, which do you want to do first: snowball fight or a snowman?"

Kanda shrugs, "Doesn't matter to me."

I smile, "Snowman it is then." I bend over and get a big handful of snow, patting it down. I say, "Get one like this."

He glances at the ball and makes one of his own quickly, copying my movements. I instruct, "Now, put it on the ground and roll it like this."

I begin to revolve the snowball through the icy blanket on the ground, picking up as much as I could. Once I was satisfied with it being the base, I leave it and turn to find Kanda struggling to get the snow to stick. I laugh as he curses the frozen water and punches through the nonexistent middle piece of the snowman. I kneel next him, forming a new ball, "You can take out level three akuma, but have the most difficult time trying to make a snowman."