Instead of doing something remotely fun, they make us run

~~~~

Excuse the mistakes

Sorry for the really late update. I was in Chicago without a computer, so I couldn't really work on the chapter at all.

~~~~

Changing for gym is one of the most awkward times of the day.

Now, this isn’t because you strip down to your underwear in front of at least fifteen other teenage girls. If I can change in front of a bunch of dudes in the Ice Devils locker room, changing with a bunch of girls is no problem. No, changing for gym class is awkward because of two types of girls.

One: when you change in the locker room for gym, there is always at least one girl who walks around with their bra, panties, or both off. At my old school, I was lucky enough to only have encountered a girl like this once. However, in Clarkson, there must be something in the water because there were plenty of girls walking around basically naked.

I’m sorry, but I really don’t need to see your private parts. Put on some damn pants!

And two: The girls who stand extremely close to you while you change. I mean, the gym class in my new high school was a lot bigger than my old one, so I could understand that the locker room would be pretty packed. However, that did not excuse the girls who would stand mere inches away from me and strip down to their bra and panties. Guys, there is such a thing as a personal space bubble, and I really don't need you popping mine.

As I stood in the very locker room where a number of these types of girls were present, I sighed and twisted my combination into my locker. Then, I unceremoniously tugged my t-shirt off, and I shimmied out of my skinny jeans. I pulled my gym clothes out of my locker, which in should probably take home and wash, and I also grabbed my sneakers.

"Hey Kelsey!"

I jumped in surprise, swore under my breath, and turned around to find Nina, a friend of Penny's standing behind me, already dressed for gym. Unfortunately, Penny and I didn't have gym together, but she introduced me to Nina one day before class, so I had at least one person to suffer through gym with.

"You ready?" Nina asked, and I had to bite the inside of my cheek to keep from saying something rude about how in was half naked and obviously not ready. It wasn't Nina's fault that I was insanely grumpy because of a lack of sleep. If I could learn to turn Netflix off, I'd be in a lot better shape.

"Just give me a minute," I grunted, and I stepped into my purple sports shorts and yanked them up. Then, I tugged my gray tank top on over my head, and I just ignored the fact that a little bit of my neon yellow bra was showing. "Okay," I breathed after I finished tying my shoelaces, "let's head out to the track."

Nina grinned and together we walked past the other girls still in various stages of changing for gym, and we slipped out of the locker room. I opened the door that lead outside, and then Nina and I walked across the small stretch of grass to the turf football field, which was surrounded by a track.

Apparently, instead of doing fun things in gym, like ultimate Frisbee or kickball, the gym teachers decided that our time would be best spent walking and running around the track. They called it just a unit in the gym class curriculum, but it had been the same since I’d started school here, so I just figured that they were being lazy.

When Nina and I reached the track, we immediately walked over to join the cluster of girls, which was just a few feet away from the group of guys. Despite the fact that gym was co-ed, the girls and boys didn’t really mix. I didn’t bother to try and be that girl that crossed gender lines and started hanging with the guys because truth be told, I was totally fine just hanging out with Nina.