Chapter 3: Jace

ALICE POV

"CLAIRE!!!" Layla yelled, trying to be heard above the noise. A flash of gold glinted in the middle of the crowd, like a beacon. I followed it, only to be reunited with Layla.

"Where's..." she began.

"I don't know!" I yelled back. A rough body slammed into us and pushed us outside.

"Look, excuse you!" I yelled. The figure took off his hood. Layla just stared. We were less than three feet away from Jace Wayland.

"Look, I don't know why a demon that powerful would be interested in little mundie girls like you but you apparently have a connection because that has been taking your friends." he came right out. We were speechless. He rolled his eyes.

"Yes, yes. I'm amazingly handsome. Tell me something I don't know. Look, are you Children of the Moon? maybe Creatures of Chaos? C'mon give me a hint! Even I don't know everything!" he went on, spouting these words only familiar to the novels.

"Alec and Isabelle are going to fry my ass if I bring anymore mundies into the Institute, but I have no choice. You have to come with me." Jace grabbed our wrists and dragged us down the street. He muttered something under his breath. Layla looked at me with wide eyes. I shook my head. We weren't supposed to change the story! But its forcing us to. I just gritted my teeth and followed Jace.