Chapter 5: An Expanding Ego

ALICE POV

We walked up the stairs, following Jace's directions to the infirmary. Layla was barely smiling anymore. Just nervously biting her lip. She did that when she was worried. We opened the door, expecting to see Claire asleep. Instead she was sitting up on the velvet blankets and happily talking to Max, the youngest of the Lightwoods. She didn't seem bloody, just a few scratches. Max stood up abruptly and grabbed for his dagger, fastened at his belt. Claire shot him a look and he relaxed.

"Max, these are my friends, Layla and Alice. They're also mundanes." Claire explained. Max managed a smile and slipped out of the room.

"You're okay!" I said in relief. Claire shrugged.

"Yeah, I was just talking to the little bugger." She told.

"How old is he?" Layla asked. Claire replied with a simple 'Ten.' Aw. Cute. She stood and gave each of us a hug.

"I see Jace found you guys too." We nodded. "Well, it's too late to stop what's already happened. We already changed the story. I hope it doesn't change the outcome." Claire thought aloud. Claire winced when she heard the loud voices of Alec, Isabelle, and Hodge all screaming at Jace.

"YOU WILL NOT WALK AWAY FROM ME JACE WAYLAND!" Hodge screamed.

"So, I suppose they found out we were mundanes huh?" she pointed out. A voice interrupted us.

"Yep. They're chewing me out for it too." Layla and I turned, startled.

"Maybe its good for your ego." Claire told Jace, a hint of a smile on her face.

"Nah, I've lived with them for quite a few years now. Nothing is going to shrink this ego. I think it will actually just keep expanding." Jace shared. We all rolled our eyes.