Chapter 1

She walked slowly up the hill. His favorite hill. Everything had crashed down on her exactly a week ago. She remembered when she had found out. His mom called her that night. When she heard what his mom had to say, tears streamed down her face. He had died. Ryan. Her soul mate. Now, a week from the catastrophe, she stood on this hill. The hill where they shared picnics. The hill where they had their first kiss. The hill where Ryan was now buried. She shivered. Why had she worn only this thin lace dress? But then again, how could she have known that dark clouds would gather above the one tree and fill the sky with their ominous gloom? In her hand she held a single rose. A rose for Ryan. She laughed a bitter laugh; it was carried away in the wind. She let the rose go, and it landed in front of the gravestone. She put her hands around herself. It was getting colder. She fingered the pearl necklace around her neck. It was the only thing that she had left of Ryan. He had given it to her as an early 1-year anniversary gift. Today was supposed  to be their anniversary. Tears began to well up in her eyes as she remembered how excited Ryan had been. Now he'll never get to experience it with me, she thought. The wind grew stronger and her hair blew in her face. She finally made herself walk down the hill, away from the grave. As she passed through the gate of the cemetery (the hill had been recently added because of Ryan), her eyes dried up. Just forget it, she thought, There's no going back now. She took out her phone and called a taxi. When it came, she quickly moved her black platform sandals into the car after her body. She closed the door fast, to get away from the cold, gloomy air. Suddenly, she saw him. Ryan was there; looking at her through the window! She opened her mouth to say something, but he vanished. It was a trick of light.

  "Where to?" the driver asked, turning around in his seat to face her.

She gave her address and the car started moving forward. She sat in the backseat, looking out the dreary window. 

As she sat there, she felt a hand brush her hair. She turned around, tears gathering in her eyes once more. There was nothing there.