5 | I Wouldn't Be Able To Live With Myself If Something Happened To You

WE WERE WOKEN up by Mitchell. He told Kale there would be a meeting that night, one that wouldn't end in a fight.

Kale advised me not to go. Though, after the last time I sat in on a meeting, I didn't want to.He never did apologize to Lucas. They kept their distance and tried not to come in contact with one another.

I told him  I'd stay upstairs and read the latest novel I'd buried myself into. I had always been a book addict. Reading helped me escape the hell I'd been living. Not that it was necessarily bad, the boys were great. But even they had their moments.

"Do you need to shower babe?" Kale asked as he stood up, searching for a shirt to put on. We'd been together for three months.

"Yeah, but I'll just wait until later. You can go ahead."

"Alright. Head downstairs, and see if one of the guys made breakfast." He smiled tiredly in my direction.

"I doubt it. Since when do the guys cook? They'd burn the house down if they tried." I laughed.

"Maybe you should go make something then." He wiggled his brows.

"Sure thing. Let me get dressed. None of them need to see me in my underwear."

"They sure don't. You're all mine." He walked over to where I stood.

"Yours. Go shower, Kale." He leaned down and pressed his lips to my forehead.

I pushed his body towards the bathroom door.

"Wanna join?" He winked.

"Maybe some other time." I rolled my eyes.

He pouted, then laughed. I headed downstairs, finding Mason lounging on the couch.

"I'm guessing no one made breakfast?" I asked, already knowing the answer.

"Are you kidding me? You've been here this long and you haven't realized none of us can cook worth shit. You do and Kale does, but the rest of us? We'd start fires if we tried."

About that time Lucas walked in, typing on his phone. At least he'd kept himself calm.

Of course, he never apologized for his rude outburst or name-calling. And he didn't once acknowledge my presence either. I never forgot the things he said, though. They still swarmed in the back of my mind.

"Earth to Addie. Hello? Are you even listening to me?" Mason snapped his fingers repeatedly in my face.

I must have zoned out because I hadn't heard a word Mason said. I was focused on Luke and remembering what he'd said to me.

"Sorry Mason. I'm gonna go make breakfast." I turned to go to the kitchen, but he grabbed my forearm tightly.

"Are you alright?" He asked as he furrowed his eyebrows.

Just as I was about to answer, Kale came down the stairs. I stood still. Mason had his hand gripped onto my upper arm. Kale's eyes immediately fell to my arm, his eyes flickering to Mason.

"Get your hand off of her Mason." Kale made his way to my side, Mason releasing his grip.

"Not this again." Lucas groaned.

"Shut the fuck up Luke. This doesn't concern you." Kale spat.

"Kale, it's fine. He was just asking if I was okay. Don't freak out." I grabbed his arm with one hand and rubbed it with the other.