8

This was the second time Cassandra woke to the sound of people speaking. Expecting the doctor or Daniel, she was surprised to see a couple in, what looks to be, their late fifties or early sixties. The man looked amazingly like Daniel except his hair was totally white and there were thick, white scars up his arms. Like they were cut marks, deep ones.

Kendall was with them, sitting on the woman's lap. Cass envied her. Not because Kendall showed obvious affection for her. But because she was one of those women who aged gracefully. One could tell she did not have any work done but her beauty was ageless. There were wrinkles but they gathered at the corners of her eyes and around her lips, showing she smiled and laughed a lot. Her hair, like her husband, was full and white.

Watching Kendall interact with them, obviously basking under their attention, her heart ached and grew at the same time. It hurt that her parents hadn't wanted anything to do with her baby even though they'd expressed delight at Jocelyn's pregnancy until she'd miscarried. And her baby, the most big-hearted and warm individual she'd ever met, had been devastated by his grandparent's indifference. But now, he had a set of grandparents who accepted him. And he, like a dying plant, was blossoming under their attention.

Suddenly, the door opened and a pretty young woman entered. She was obviously a family member. Her features were reminiscent of her mother, wide forehead, thin, upturned nose and lovely thin lips. But her hair was a light, almost platinum blonde. And her eyes were her father's: dark stormy gray. Like Daniel's. And Kendall's.

Kendall ran to her, hugging her legs tightly. The woman laughed and patted his head. Then she looked up and locked eyes with Cass.

"Oh, hi. I didn't know you were awake,"the woman said, pushing Cass into the spotlight. Everyone turned to her. Kendall ran to her bed and struggled to pull himself up. His grandfather helped.

"Thanks, Grandpa,"he said before gingerly seating himself beside her. "Is this OK, Mommy? Does it hurt?"

"No, baby,"she replied with a soft smile. "Why don't you introduce me to everyone here? I don't think I've met them before."

Kendall agreed to the task with a wide smile. Asking his grandfather for help in getting down, he told her everyone's name. And even though she was aware of who everyone was, she had to laugh at his childish remarks.

"This is Grandpa. Daddy says his name is James. And he's the bestest grandpa in the world. And this is Grandma. His-"

"Her,"Cass corrected absently. So focused on Kendall, she missed the fond look James sent her.

"Her name is Gwy-Gwy-Gwy-"

"Gwyneth, sweet one,"Gwyneth said, helping him pronounce her name, stroking his curls away from his face. He nodded vigorously.

"Gwynith, "he pronounced before moving on to the woman. Everyone smiled but Kendall was focused. Much like his father. It marvelled Cass that despite not meeting Daniel until recently, Kendall was very much like him. Loyal, laser-like focus, protective.

It warmed her heart that he would be able to grow up with the same people who helped his father grow into the man that he was. She was entirely aware that his need for vengeance was all Daniel. But that had stemmed from all the qualities she saw in Kendall. So she understood. But she would never understand her being embroiled in his plans.

"Mommy, you're not listening,"Kendall cried, exasperation in his voice. Apologising for her lapse in attention, he narrowed his eyes and nodded when he saw he had her full attention. "Alright. This is Aunty Carmen. She's not the bestest but she's nice." And with that repartee, he scrambled into a chair beside her bed and managed to bring himself up onto her bed.