9

Night had fallen. There was no one in the clinic. Cass knew that because Jeremy came by to do a last check on her before he left. She also knew that she should be sleeping.

But she couldn't. Her brain was working too much. There was so many things to take note of now that she lived. First and foremost was Bryan. Did he know she was still drawing breath? He should be aware since his men didn't find a body to dispose.

So she was still living on borrowed time. Bryan was probably biding his time. He first had to find her and then think of a way to dispose her without implicating himself. Which would be difficult to do with people knowing about her injuries in the first place.

All these brought her to the next issue. Kendall. His welfare was still in a limbo. Right now, Bryan was probably not aware of where he was. He wouldn't even enter that monster's mind unless he could use her baby. But that was going to end anytime soon. So she needed to find a way to out of that man's paws for good.

And the only way was to sign away all her rights to him. Which meant she had to push Daniel to sign those papers. If he hadn't thrown them away. She had made a will in preparation for the beating. It had stated that, in the event of her death, Daniel's parents would be Kendall's guardian. She knew they hadn't known about Kendall but she was sure they'd take good care of him. She did consider Daniel but he was too consumed with vengeance. As much as he loved his son, she could never be sure he wouldn't use Kendall. But now that she was alive, that was no longer an option.

Which brought her back to the papers.

Suddenly her door opened and a man entered in silence. Forcing herself to not move and breath normally, Cass watched him move to her bed through slitter eyes. The way he moved. It was familiar. There was a self-assuredness that exuded confidence in a way a top predator would.

"I know you're awake,"his gruff voice growled. Still not knowing who he was but not willing to show her hand, Cass opened her eyes widely and blinked rapidly at him. Then she sat up, ignoring her protesting muscles, hands fluttering at her throat.

"W-who are you?"she asked breathlessly. Even in the darkness, she could see his lips quirk up in a smirk. Battling down her irritation, she demanded,"How did you get in here?"

"Nice acting, Mrs Adams. But I've got your number,"he said, amusement rich in his voice. Reluctant to drop the act but unwilling to show any vulnerability, Cass frowned.

"What happened to my guards? Did you kill them?"she exclaimed. His smirk turned to a smile and, with the moonlight shining through the small window above her bed, Cass spotted a wide white scar slashed on his right cheek, further highlighted by his dark skin. Stiffening as she finally recognised him, her mind drew a blank for the first time in her life. And she saw that he knew that she knew. His demeanour became more serious.

"Don't worry. Bryan doesn't know you're alive. Or here,"he said.

"What? Why? How?"she sputtered. He was silent, making her even more nervous.

"You saved my sister. It's not a debt I will ever forget,"he responded gravely. Sister? Who was he-

"Sarah?"she inquired, her mind flying back to when she had to get about with a broken arm and pregnant belly. The girl she had had to fight Bryan for. The girl who had looked half-dead and wishing for the end. "How is she?"

"Good. Just got hitched but she got her bachelors,"he said fondly and she couldn't help but relax in his presence. "You didn't know it but she planned to commit suicide the day you asked for her."

"It's not a surprise,"she said softly and the both of them wallowed in past. Then she had to find out more. "You're his head of security. Why are you risking your life for mine?"