18

Daniel’s felt his heart stop and a weight starting to pull him down. She wouldn’t have a reason to see him anymore apart from Kendall. And although he had visitation every weekend, it wasn’t the same. There wouldn’t be any late night calls about sudden developments in the business world. No dropping into his office because she’d like to get his take on Hailey’s performance or her own projects or lunch.

Not that it had to stop. But in doing so, they would have to confront their own attraction to each other. One that had not ceased to exist even during her recovery but had, instead, simmered under all the animosity and distrust.

He didn’t know whether he wanted to give into the pull. They’d build so much and overcome numerous hurdles to get to where they were today. He feared that all that they had gotten over would come crashing back once they pursued a non-platonic relationship. Watching the same emotions come and go in her eyes eased his concerns slightly; he wasn’t the only one unsure on how to go forward.

“I-I guess this is all for now,”she finally said and Daniel was almost broken from the enormous wave of pain that engulfed him. She was not even going to entertain the idea of them getting together. He saw the resolve in her eyes. Anger replaced the pain.

“That’s it? You’re not even going to try?”he demanded, willing her to say otherwise. He couldn’t believe that the woman he knew, the strong, resilient, stubborn woman, would give in without even trying. He didn’t even want to think about his place in her life if she was able to let go of him so easily. Tightening his hold on her shoulders, he forced her to look at him. She refused. “Cassandra, has all these months mean nothing to you?”

“You make it sound like it meant something to you when clearly it doesn’t since you’re dating that skank- I mean woman,”she hissed, fumbling to change her choice of word at the end. He saw the flush slowly covering her face at her accidental show of jealousy and, for the umpteenth time, greatly appreciated her redhead skin which easily showed her emotions. Letting her go when she glared at his hands, he watched her pace about the room, keeping his silence. She always did this when she was ruminating over an issue or subject and he realized that just because she’d forgiven him, it didn’t mean she’d forgotten.

“I mean, I’m not jealous or anything but seeing as I don’t need your help anymore, I feel like I should go out and live life like a normal adult. You know, date. Get to know a few man,”she said, her eyes not on him when she paused behind an armchair. Although it smarted when she spoke of other men, he had to suppress a smidge of amusement. It sounded as though she was trying to convince herself of the merits of her plan. Since it ran counter to his own plan, he had no qualms of pointing out the flaws and holes.

“What about Kendall? Are you going to tell them about him?”

“Of course I am, Daniel,”she snapped irritably before recommencing her pacing. “Why wouldn’t I? It’ll be like I was hiding him, like I was embarrassed of him.”

“Some men don’t like knowing the woman they’re dating have a child.”

“Well, they won’t be for me then, will they?”she responded archly.

“What about Hailey, then?”

“What about Hailey?”she asked, narrowing her eyes on him. He had to push away the smile that was threatening to break through. This was familiar. They always played devil’s advocate for every idea, plan, solution. It always dissolved in laughter but in this case, Daniel was playing a deeper game. He had to convince her he was the man she wanted, needed.

“Most men are selfish. They don’t like having additional responsibilities even though you’re the one bearing most of the expense and Hailey’s going to leave the nest soon. Also, you’ll be busy with the takeover.”