14

1 year later.....

Cassandra smiled at Carmen as she welcomed Daniel's sister into her house. Her smile grew.

Her house. Even after three months, it never got old.

A house that was under her name and her name only. She'd never had that before.

Admittedly, it was small compared to what she'd grown up in and during her marriage. It definitely paled in comparison to what her sisters owned. But that didn't matter to her. It never had.

It was filled with everything she needed and wanted. With the added benefit of being a safe neighbourhood where Kendall could enjoy a normal childhood.

Even now, he was running in from the backdoor, having seen his favourite aunt. Sweaty and dirty from playing with his friends, Carmen, nevertheless, welcomed his embrace even though it would dirty her pantsuit.

"Hey there, tiger. What have you been doing since you've moved here?"Carmen asked as she allowed herself to be tugged away by Kendall.

Cassandra's smile became bittersweet. It always did when her mind turned to Daniel.

She had such a mix of emotions when it came to him. There was anger, justifiably so. He'd tried to use Kendall in his quest for revenge. This didn't take into account his callousness towards her. Betrayal. Despair.

And yet, he'd been so caring. Not only to Kendall but to her as well. He'd been there when she'd stayed with him, had to go through months of physical therapy and psychological therapy. He'd held her when she'd went through bouts of all-encompassing rage and crushing depression. Often having to snap her out of her mind. He'd been her rock during those rough months.

But how was she to let go of her hurt and anger? He was just so nice to her now that it almost seemed like a dream; his earlier treatment of her. And yet-

"Hey, are you alright?"

Carmen's voice broke her out of her reverie. Realising she'd unconsciously moved to the kitchen, Cass took her time getting a drink for her guest and a snack for Kendall.

"Yeah. Just thinking,"she replied, smiling softly at Carmen. She didn't look convinced but let it slide when Kendall, all clean and sparkly, joined them at the kitchen. Seating himself at the island with the woman, he proceeded to devour his snack, which consisted of an apple with peanut butter as well as chocolate spread sandwich.

Not wanting to go into why she'd asked Carmen to visit her, Cass asked Carmen about her work. Any potential love prospects. Kendall, for lack of better words, ignored them. He was intent on finishing up and getting back to his friends.

Finally, after a stern reminder to clean up after himself, they were alone. Sharing a laugh at his eagerness, they finally settled down in her living room. It was a large room, with one wall dedicated to the entertainment system. The decor calmed her, the walls a soothing warm grey, which also reminded her of all she'd gone through. Reminded her of her strengths.

Steeling herself, Cass started on why she'd invited Carmen.

"I don't know what to do with my life,"she blurted out. Not able to look at her guest, Cass's eyes fixed on the photo of Kendall on the shelf. She forced herself to continue. To explain. "All my life, I've been under the thumbs of men and had devoted my life to getting out of that situation. But now that I'm out, I'm so lost. I've never really thought about after, you know."

Darting a glance to Carmen, Cass's eyes returned to the mantle. Her discomfort grew. The pity and sympathy in Carmen's eyes grated at her nerves but she needed any help she could get. And she trusted Carmen. They'd grown closer during the year.