17

2 years later.....

Cassandra scowled into the mirror as she put on her dress. The dress was beautiful, strapless with teal lace with black base. Her makeup was flawless; her finishing school having drilled that into her. She was right on schedule but the scowl was still on her face. And she knew the reason why.

"Are you still mad with Daniel?"Hailey asked as she entered the room to help her with zipping her dress. Cass directed her scowl at her. Her housemate laughed and replied to her own question. "I take that as a yes."

"I'm not. Why should I be mad? We're not together, romantically, so he's free to date whoever he wants,"Cass responded crossly, presenting her back to Hailey. "Although couldn't he have chosen a better role model for Kendall? Seriously, that woman is so shameless, showing her boobs to the entire world."

"Yeah, who knows wearing a low-cut dress is so deplorable?"

Cass could hear her rolling her eyes and knew she was being ridiculous. And it shamed her that she was letting such an insignificant person ruin her victory-

"Alright. I am sounding absurd even in my own head,"she grumbled before turning, facing the young woman who'd grown from the scared, hurting girl. A smile graced her lips as she thought of how much had changed.

Having gotten her GED, she was currently in her first year of college, majoring in Accounting and Business. And proud as she was, Cass had paid for her college before she had time to decline. Underhanded but she knew her charge wouldn't have accepted her help. Hailey had not wasted the opportunity. She was an ace student and Cass knew she was going to graduate at the top of her class.

Hugging the wonderful woman, she had to hold in her laugh when she felt her tense. She was definitely not used to physical contact, although she endured Cass' touches. Especially during Cass' few weeks' of constant physical contact -a hug, a pat- when she had realised she enjoyed doing so. Especially when the other party did not reject her affection.

"Sorry for being such a sourpuss this evening. I'll try to tone it down,"she said, letting Hailey go and checking on her makeup. She had definitely smudged her eyeliner.

"Give a warning, woman,"Hailey complained as she helped fasten her necklace. Laughing, Cass dropped a kiss on her cheek and laughed harder when she wiped it away irritatingly.

"Stop making me laugh. I'll ruin my makeup."

"Well, stop with the affection. You know it makes me uncomfortable."

"Why do you think I do it in the first place?" Putting on her dreaded heels, Cass went through her mental checklist once more, making a move to living room. "Are you sure you're fine with babysitting three eight-year-olds? I know you're studying for a test."

"It's Kendall. It's more likely that he is going to ride herd on his friends. I don't even think I'm needed."

Giving her a last assessing look, she left her charge at her room with a final hug before stopping by the living room. That was where Kendall and his friends were, playing their video games. Hearing his laughter and shouts of glee made her heart fly even as she wished she could stay. This was the first time she'd agreed to a sleepover. And as much as she knew and trusted the other boys, years of constant vigilance made her wary. But, after speaking with Daniel, she knew she couldn't coddle Kendall too much.

And watching Kendall play with his friends, she knew she made the right decision.

"Mom, are you leaving?"Kendall asked once he saw her. Disentangling from his friends, he made his way to her. Having heard the shard of sliver of vulnerability in his voice, Cass moved away from the door of the living room before kneeling and giving him a hug. She had to protect her young man's developing ego, at least from his friends. Once she released him, the vulnerability was gone and in its place was a fierce protectiveness. "Why couldn't you have gone with Dad? I don't like that guy."