That's Because I Love You Riley

M- Riley?

Riley was silent after finishing her letter. She didn't know what to expect from her best friend. One thing for sure is that she knew that Maya's upset. Not only did Riley lie to her for so many years and hide her feelings, but she was hiding her feelings for her best friends boyfriend and that's what made it even worse. The face that she tried to abandon these feelings while with every passing second they were stealing another piece of their happiness. Riley knew that at some point they would find out, she just hoped she wouldn't be around to see their reaction. She didn't want to see the look of pain, hurt, betrayal, everything that she was feeling. She didn't want to be the reason why her best friend wasn't happy, even if she was suffering. She also didn't want them to see her hurt, pain, and betrayal. She left because she didn't want them to see, because all she had to do was look in their eyes and she knew that she would break, especially if she looked into his eyes. She had found a way to make Maya believe she was fine when she wasn't, but she couldn't hide it from Lucas. She did everything she could to avoid eye contact, and she had been successful so far. Now she had a new challenge, protecting her best friends happiness.

M- Riley, ring power can you please talk to me?

R- What is there to talk about, Maya. I'm in love with your boyfriend. I've made the biggest mistake of my life not knowing how you felt from day one. You put your feelings aside for me to be happy and I did the same, the only difference was that you didn't cut, starve yourself, and almost kill yourself for a boy who doesn't love you back.

M- Riley I keep trying to tell you that me and Lucas aren't...

R- Aren't what Maya? Aren't going to be happy until I'm out of the way? Yeah I know. I've know for a long time, but I couldn't do it. You two are the most important people in my life and it hurt to leave you guys. I think that this was just all a big mistake. I'm better now. Thank you for coming.

M- RILEY YOU AREN'T FINE!!! LOOK AT YOU RILEY, YOU ALMOST KILLED YOURSELF!!!!! YOU STARVED AND CUT YOURSELF BECAUSE OF ME!! YOU ALMOST DIED RILEY!! HOW CAN YOU POSSIBLY BE FINE?

R- BECAUSE ITS MY JOB TO BE FINE MAYA!!! IT'S MY JOB TO BE FINE AND NOT LET ANYTHING GET TO ME.

F- Is that what you think Riley?

R- Yes, because it's true. That's how everyone sees me, so that's who I have to be. That's who I am.

M- Riley it's okay to want everyone to be happy, but if it does this to you it isn't okay.

F- Riley, when it comes to other being happy, you can't keep hurting yourself and suffering it won't get you anywhere and we love you and want what's best for you.

R- What's best for me is for others to be happy.

M- RILEY WHAT IS WRONG WITH YOU? YOU'RE BRAINWASHED!!! QIUT TALKING VRAZY AND SNAP OUT OF IT!!

R- Just do one thing for me Maya.

M- What is that?

R- Treat him right. Make sure the two of you are happy that's all I want.

Maya ran out of Riley's room and to the living room where Lucas and herself were both in tears. Maya grabbed his phone and ended the call.

M- Did you hear all of that?

L- Yeah I did. What are we going to do?

M- I don't know about me but I know what you're going to do.

L- And what is that?

M- You're going to snap her out of whatever trans she's in, because that isn't how she feels. She still loves you for sure. You are one of the only people I think has a chance to bring her back. I don't care what you have to do. Just bring her back to me. Can you promise me you'll do that?

L- Yeah. but what do I do? She doesn't want me in there Maya. How am I supposed to get to her if you won't let me in.?

M- Oh, your going in. Just know that her body isn't the same way it was when you met her. She starved herself but stopped because she almost got put in the hospital. She had cuts up and down her arms and legs. She won't let Farkle or me touch her, but I know that she loves you enough to let you try. She loves you so much she most killed herself so you'd be happy with me. You go in there and you bring her back do you hear me.

L- Yes.

Maya grabbed his hand and dragged him up to Riley's room. When they got there the lights were off and Riley was quietly crying under her covers and Farkle was trying to talk some sense into her, but she wasn't listening to her. All the lights were off so it was hard to see anything, probably because at this point the sun had already started to go down and it was dark. Maya dragged Lucas back to her bed side and they forgot they were holding hands. When Maya saw this she quickly dropped his hand and went to turn on the lights. Maya started to reach for the light switch, but Riley stopped her.

R- NO STOP!!! I don't want anyone else to see me this way anymore.

M- okay I won't turn on the lights, but we can barely see you. Can you please come out of those cover and talk to us?

Riley came fully out from the covers. You couldn't see all her cuts, but you could clearly see all the tears streaming down her face, but she covered the pain with a smile that disappeared when she saw Lucas.

R- What did you hear?

L- I heard everything. Maya called me so that I could listen to what you were saying, because she knew you wouldn't say what you would to them to me.

R- Well then I guess you know everything that you need to.

L- Not quite.

R- What do you mean?

L- I mean how bad those cuts on your body are. I know they aren't good. Can you please show me, because until you do I don't know what to do to help you.

R- There's nothing you can do. What's done is done. The damage has been made.

Riley got off her bed and walked over to Lucas and Maya who were standing side by side.

R- Promise me that you'll take care of each other. Just because I'm not 100% back to "Smiley Riley" doesn't mean that you need to be happy with each other. Don't let me stop you from being happy.

L- Riley will you just listen to me? Maya and I aren't...

R- Going to let me get in the way? Great, that's all I want if it makes you happy. That's all I want. I love you both. I know you don't love me the same way Lucas. You don't have to pretend to care just to make me happy. I'll be ok..

M- Riley we broke up!!! I've been trying to tell you all these years. I broke up with him a few week after Texas. I don't like him. I might love him, but only as a brother.

R- Maya that's not true. You care a lot about him. I can see it when you look at him.

L- Riley there's a difference in crushing on someone and caring about them and crushing on them. I might care about Maya but I'm not crushing on her.

R- Why are you doing this to me?

L- Doing what?

R- MAKING IT HARD FOR ME TO WALK AWAY!!! Every time I finally think I can leave you pull me back in.

L- That's because I love you Riley.