Chapter 2: The Accused

CHAPTER 2: The Accused

I got to the front white picket fence and unlocked it, my heels clacking on the hard cement pavement. I turned left and started to walk out dragging my luggage in one hand and shouldering my duffel bag in the other. I walked towards the direction of my home but it suddenly occurred to me that the neighborhood was eerily quiet, the street lamps were flickering on and off, the usual porch lights weren’t on and no lights from any of the houses around were on either. There was also no sign of people walking around me. I was then starting to get scared. My mind was debating whether I should go back to Lewis and ask him if I could stay for just one more night or if I should just continue walking towards my house, but the safe part of me decided that I should head back to Lewis’. All I could hear in the deathly silence was the clacking of my heels and the rubble on the pavement being kicked around.

I wondered why it was like this, a distant memory from the past suddenly kicked in. Something like this had occured before in the past, I remembered my parents hiding me in the attic of the house as they ran around shutting the windows and locking the doors. But I had forgotten the reason why. The other kids and I had to be hidden.

Something bad had happened, everyone in the village had been warned but I was young back then I didn't understand. But then again that meant something terrible had just happened today, something had happened in the past hour and I had not been warned...was I the one in trouble? Had I done something?

Lewis’s white picket fence came into view. It was still wide open and the sound of it moving in the wind made a shiver run down my spine. It was creaking and moaning like someone being tortured. I put one hand on the fence to stop its moaning, but when I finally looked up there was no sign of light from Lewis’s house. The porch light and the light from the living room was no longer on, it was just pitch black. I was starting to get really scared and worried, I didn’t know what was happening, where was everyone? Did something happen? What had I done?

“LEWIS!” I called out to the dark house. “LEWIS! LEWIS? LEWIS ARE YOU THERE?” Suddenly I heard the sound of a stone being thrown and loud rustling from a bush on the other side of the street, I quickly turned around hoping to catch a glimpse of someone.

“LEWIS? Is that you? DON’T PLAY GAMES WITH ME ITS NOT FUNNY! IM SCARED!” I shouted at the bush. “LEWIS WHERE IS EVERYONE? LEWIS? LEWIS JUST COME OUT!” The bush no longer rustled, no more stones were being thrown out; it was back to the pitch-black stillness of the night. A gust of wind made me shiver and I rubbed my arm to try and keep myself warm. I stood there for another two minutes after calling out to the darkness hoping someone would pop out, I was standing in the middle of the road screaming my lungs out, shouting and doing anything I could do that would usually get someone’s attention, but nothing moved, no one appeared, no sounds were made.

This was getting ridiculous I thought. I grabbed my luggage and tightened my hold on my duffel bag before heading back down the road I was going before.

When another gust of wind blew hard, I could've sworn it whispered to me “Madeleine run…run…run from the village…go away…they will take you…” I tried to calm myself down I told myself I was just being paranoid. It was probably late at night and everyone would already be sleeping, I quickened my pace and looked behind me to see if anyone was following me. Another gust of wind blew again this time the bushes rustled with it and they seemed to be saying “Run…run…run!” and from a distance I could hear two girls giggling. By this point I was scared, I was so scared I could have pissed myself but in this situation I’d rather not. I dropped my duffel bag and my luggage and hurriedly took off my heels before stuffing them under some nearby bushes. I then ran as fast as I could to my family’s house, my ragged breath and the pavement burning my feet didn't stop me from running any faster, the wind picked up its speed and the bushes rustled along with them. Once I saw the familiar garden my mother had always tended to allowed a smile to break out onto my face. But the smile quickly faded as I could see only one light was on. It was so weird, out of the 60 or more houses in the village only the light in my living room was on.

I stopped in front of my house and rested my hands on my knees trying to regain my breath. Slowly and carefully my hands dug out my own house key from my bra strap. Beads of sweat had already formed on my forhead and I felt so sticky. With shaky hands I put the key in the keyhole, the only noise I could hear was my heavy breathing and the noise of the key turning as the whispers of the wind continued to blow. I entered the house in a hurry and slammed the door behind me I had my back to the door as I quickly locked it again before calling out for my family.

“MOTHER! FATHER! WHERE ARE YOU? BROTHER? SISTER? WHERE ARE YOU?” Tears started leaking out of my eyes as I ran upstairs to find all the rooms empty with toys lying around everywhere. I ran back down and that’s when I heard the scraping of a chair on the tile floor. I ran into the kitchen with hope and a smile slowly formed on my face, I burst into the dining room to see my mother, father, Leader Safyan and his wife Mother Candice.

I was about to run to my mother with joy when my smile faltered as I saw the grim look on their face; I stopped dead in my tracks. Father and Leader Safyan were sitting down while my mother was weeping and Mother Candice was trying to comfort her I looked at each one of them, father did not look at me and Leader Safyan had a blank face while mothers face was buried in tissues and Mother Candice was sending me disapproving looks. I suddenly found my voice.

Authors Note:

Hi guys! thank you so much for the votes and reads! im number 94 on the thrillers list! THANK YOU! i hope this upload is fast enough! and im sorry for bad grammar or punctuation! please COMMENT and VOTE! thank you! ill upload again asap :D sorry if this one is short! <3 lurve you all:)